Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp supercharger questions

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badpuppy6942
I never got my question answered in a private pm to RIPP, so here it is... I own a Vortech supercharged Mustang and Vortech has a disclaimer for use in cold weather I think this is a great kit and im in no way trying to bash a product from a suporting vendor, but the public needs to be informed!

With a Mustang obviously I would not drive it in winter but most of us drive the Jeep year round as a daily driver.

This is copied and pasted from the Vortech website...

IMPORTANT COLD WEATHER INFORMATION

In order to achieve the low noise level of Vortech superchargers, Vortech specifies manufacturing procedures that call for minimal internal clearance.
These precise tolerances how ever are not conducive to temperatures below 25° F. Therefore,storing the vehicle in a heated garage and/or employing the use of an engine block heater/aftermarket engine blanket is required when
the vehicle is subjected to a "cold startup" in ambient temperatures below 25° F. Failure to comply with this may result in immediate supercharger failure and invalidate the supercharger warranty.

Obviously i can plug in a blanket or engine block heater at home in a garage but what about when I go to the mall or work when there is no electrical outlet available? I live in Wisconsin where temps drop below 0 for weeks at a time in the winter. Now what? just food for thought
According to the Vortech Engineers when in cold weather you have to follow the cold weather conditions part of your vehicles owners manual - which directly connects to the blower.

Use thinner synthetic oil designed for subzero conditions.
Plug in the heather where possible.
Warm up the vehicle before use.

After all it still a mechanical product just like the rest of the car.

Their position is vague as they can only respond as recommended in the engineers manual. After an - at length - conversation with a Vortech Engineer they couldn't really say otherwise as its never come up. Using common sense in this case seems to be the consensus.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: Ripp supercharger questions