Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp supercharger questions

Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck45
What is the optional boost?
The optional boost cooler. Its not more boost its for heavy off roading so nothing overheats.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
The optional boost cooler. Its not more boost its for heavy off roading so nothing overheats.
Is it like an intercooler that goes in front of the radiator; or something different?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it like an intercooler that goes in front of the radiator; or something different?
No that would be silly... how is a front mount intercooler going to work at 2mph... we use a chemical intercooler... whereas we spray a water methonal mix into the intake only under boosted conditions, like 3 psi or higher... this suppresses detonation, raises octane and cools the boost off.

The methonal in sold at local auto parts stores under Preston De-Icer, we retain the factory window washing reservoir for this purpose... it lasts over 2000 miles because it only sprays under boost.

It awesome....

RIPPTECH
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

wow, just read through the entire thread. I was just saying to my wife last week that a supercharger would be great for gas and performance. I put about 3k a month on the Rube, so mileage is important as is long term reliability for me. I look forward to reading and hearing the reviews from the new owners!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

the boost is optional and its around $355
Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I'm getting to like this Ripp blower more and more. Is this methanol injection std or extra cost?

BTW, how does the stock automatic hold up behind the SC? How about the Axles?
With the 36000 miles of testing on our X equipped with 5.13 gears and 35's and nearly 5000 on our 08 Rubi, not to mention the 14000 on Rough Country's rig the trans has been stellar.... the hitch is the Torque Request Denied circuitry it keeps the drive train safe at all times. We retain this feature - you learn to love and hate it.... but for the most part its a smart system and we decided to keep it triggered. This is a factory safety system which secures that the driver doesn't over power the drive train with the skinny pedal...Our instructions cover how to drive around it, this is an auto feature only.

The Boost Cooler
http://www.rippmods.com/Methanol_wat...ion_p/1a1g.htm

Its an option.... we've been selling the system for 6 years and love every minute with it, since its new to the Jeep community we made it an option. After speaking to our sales staff or reading about it online most if not every one has purchased it. We generally round the number down for you when purchasing in conjunction with the supercharger kit.

Question welcome

RIPPTECH
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

RIPPMODS, how often on average is this Methanol needing to be refilled during your testing? Obviously it will depend on how much you push the boost, I am talking the average driver with your S/C kit. Also, how big is the tank and could you ballpark how much Methanol costs at an auto parts store? With gas prices so high these days, adding another expensive consumable to the mix has me a bit worried about going this route.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vega
how big is the tank and could you ballpark how much Methanol costs at an auto parts store? With gas prices so high these days, adding another expensive consumable to the mix has me a bit worried about going this route.

I don't know how available it is in southern states but up here where we get lots of snow and ice the winter windshield washer fluid is $2 a gallon. As long as its rated for -40 its good for boost temp control.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Ripps' Supercharger. The kit uses your windshield washer fluid. Ross recommends Prestone de-icer washer fluid (for the Methanol content). I bought two cases of it from NAPA. I topped mine off three weeks ago and it is only down 3 inches. My jeep runs great and I am loving the extra power. I'm taking it on a road trip this weekend, so I will calculate my highway MPG then. Around town I am getting around 12MPG with 33's, 4:10's, and a 233 lb front bumper/winch combo.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Vega
RIPPMODS, how often on average is this Methanol needing to be refilled during your testing? Obviously it will depend on how much you push the boost, I am talking the average driver with your S/C kit. Also, how big is the tank and could you ballpark how much Methanol costs at an auto parts store? With gas prices so high these days, adding another expensive consumable to the mix has me a bit worried about going this route.
$3 a gallon mine has gone all of the nearly 4k miles I out on it.... it's not like nitrous where it sprays like a hose, its finely misted like Windex or other window cleaners.

Also... perspectively speaking the methonal adds octane in doing so you can use 89 grade fuel and it will offset the cost of the fuel.... not to mention with the kit in place you get better gas mileage anyway so... while your point is valid it really gets nixed by the pro's of the system.

Quick Reply: Ripp supercharger questions