Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp supercharger questions

Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripp supercharger questions

I read the thread on this and some of the stuff is not making sense. They said that with the sc, gas mileage went up, how can that be, it's belt driven? How much actual hp and torque are gained? What does whp stand for (I saw it on one of their charts)? WOULD THIS VOID WARRANTY?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

WHP stands for Women's HIV Program according to Wikipedia. No, really, it stands for Wheel Horsepower, as opposed to engine horsepower (horsepower "at the crank") like most auto manufacturers list. WHP is the actual, useable power that your vehicle can put to the ground after drivetrain loss.

I doubt gas mileage would go up. And I can almost guarantee it will void your powertrain warranty.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Why not post the thread they started? They've been pretty good about answering questions there. So pick their brain, that's why they're here and I'm sure you won't be the only one wondering about it. I want one, I'm just waiting til they start cranking out the orders and until a few people on the board get one and report in with unbiased results of everyday use.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep07
I read the thread on this and some of the stuff is not making sense. They said that with the sc, gas mileage went up, how can that be, it's belt driven? How much actual hp and torque are gained? What does whp stand for (I saw it on one of their charts)? WOULD THIS VOID WARRANTY?
I think Ryno summed it up pretty well...but I would like to add that I have seen in many cases in the past where adding a supercharger does increase gas mileage. I do not have any experience with this on Jeeps but after 10 years of building mustangs (as a hobby+side job if I was in the mood) I have seen in many cases where adding a supercharger to a stock power plant can add increased gas mileage. However once you start changing cams, heads, intakes, larger injectors, fuelpumps etc...then it drops hard.

Also WHP does mean Wheel Horsepower which is actual horsepower at the wheels. All vehicles lose power in the drivetrain. Typical numbers are 10-15% loss in Manual transvehicles. 10-25% in Automatic vehicles. Modern drivetrains are way more efficient then they were in the muscle cars days, in some cases Automatic trans are as efficient if not more then some automatics.

My last car 2007 BMW 335i Coupe Auto was my first sports car with an Auto trans. Ultra fast shifts and super efficient, thats why I went with it.

I am sure you have heard people say to you that Manual transmission vehicles are faster then Auto Trans...well that was true in the 60's but doesn't really hold true today....where MOST automatics are now faster. Not because they are more efficient but because they are just as efficient or only slightly worse, but are faster because no matter how good you are at shifting/powershifting etc. you are definetly not as fast as the split second shifts that a modern auto can do.

One more thing...
HP: Horsepower engine produces to the crank.
WHP: Horsepower at the wheels
RWHP: same as WHP but specific to "Rear Wheel Horsepower" and more commonly used.

This is obviously also used with Torque
TQ:
WTQ:
RWTQ:

***If you cannot fill in the above "TQ" Blanks after reading my post, please do not reproduce***

Sorry for getting off course here...long day, long month, need sleep.....too much work for today...bedtime.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeep07
Originally Posted by Ryno
WHP stands for Women's HIV Program according to Wikipedia. No, really, it stands for Wheel Horsepower, as opposed to engine horsepower (horsepower "at the crank") like most auto manufacturers list. WHP is the actual, useable power that your vehicle can put to the ground after drivetrain loss.

I doubt gas mileage would go up. And I can almost guarantee it will void your powertrain warranty.

The gas mileage goes up for several reasons:
1. The blower we chose is larger than the engine needs, in being so it requires much less RPM therefore much more efficient.
2. Our system uses supplemental injection, in doing so we make use of the JK’s already rich tune. It’s programmed rich because it makes no power so the engineers run it on the rich and full of timing. We take advantage of this by delivering air volume not just boost, the air volume leans out the stock mixture when cruising delivering better gas mileage. Also in using supplemental injection we only use extra fuel when in boost, so when driven normally or within reason you will always get better gas mileage.

The stock JK in stock form only produces 133whp with larger tires it can go as low as 108whp. With the RIPP Supercharger you will see as much as 250whp and 240lb/ft or torque or a minimum of 190whp and 227lb/ft gear/tire dependent.

When we brought our proto-type rig back to the dealer for a scheduled warranty issue, the general manager not only came out and looked at it he made a small youtube video and posted it. After having the lead tech scan the ecu and look it over they have scheduled a promo unit for installation. We can’t say that every dealer is this cool but judging on how clean the kit runs and how welcome the extra power is they may do the same.

Question always welcome.

RIPPTECH
Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Status

Ross,

Are you shipping yet?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
Ross,

Are you shipping yet?
We are in Quality control and assembly right now... we should be past that in the next day or two and then shipping next week.

We are attending PA Jeep's is York PA this weekend where we will be doing a supercharger install liveat the show, some of our attention has gone to making sure we have a good show - and we just got back from the Bloomsburg 4x4 nationals - Once we are back we can get back to normal speed and get box's out the door...

RIPPTECH
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
***erator

I would love to get one of these. When someone gets one of these post thoughts on install and performance. PLZ. Oh and pics.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by rws
In you opinion, how do you think it will effect the longevity of the engine? And, have you looked into replacing the stock pistons with forged pistons in order to safely increase boost and longevity?
Well, in our thread we've explained that we've done over 30000 miles of real word on and off road testing with our system. After checking compression before and after the engine has retained its 120-118 it originall started with. Smae goes with the 5000 miles rough country has done over the last year as well.

We recently pulled the 30000 mile engine and closely examining it, as soon as our show schedule slows we will start specing it out.

The short answer so far so good, we aren't pushing anything past the break point or putting any of the factory parameters out of place. The car drives as stock.

RIPPTECH
Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An engine's output is typically measured with what's called "volumetric efficiency". In other words, the engine's output, VS the size in cubic inches. Let's make it easy and say we got a Chevy 350. If that engine puts out 350 horse power, it has a 100% volumetric efficiency rating. Simple enough? Lets say we strap on a roots type blower...which is what the RIPP basically is. When I say "roots" I mean belt driven. I know the RIPP is a little different, but it is the same in principle. Most conventional blowers tyically produce 45-55% more horse power. Again, for simplicity's sake we'll split the difference and say our blower on that 350 is making 50% more than our 350 rated HP. Since our engine already had a volumetric efficiency of 100% to begin with, now we have a total of 150% volumetric efficiency, or 525 hp. The blower is now adding 50% of the engine's naturally aspirated 350HP, which is 175 HP for a total of 525 HP. A roots type blown engine is a funny animal. Cammed, carbed or injected just right and yes, the mileage can go up....sometimes substantially. HOWEVER, this is under NORMAL driving conditions. In other words....with your foot OUT of it. Because the engine has now become so much more efficient, it takes much less of the engine's power to make the same vehicle move. I could go on about better fuel atomization...blah blah blah.....but that's the basic bottom line. It seems the JK engines for some reason, are not responding in the 45-55% normal range of a roots type blower. Maybe because of already high cylinder pressure. Maybe because the factory stretch to yield head bolts are an accident waiting to happen.....I don't know. But for me, to spend 5K on a mod and not have but around a 50 HP increase, is just not a big enough return to justify the cost. The 3.8 is only rated at 202 HP. 50% of that is 101 HP. RIPP claims a 107 HP increase with stock tires and wheels, which may be true. Do you think you can honestly add that much power without consequences? If so, the factory already would have done it. I would spend 5K for a SAFE 50% increase, but these engines just are not designed for an added 107 HP. I don't think they will handle 50 extra HP in the long term very well. ...and I'm talkin more than 100,000 miles. I know one guy iin Macon who has a blown small block in a Camaro. He's had it in that car for at least 18 years. Last I saw him, he had over 95,000 miles on that motor and it was still going strong. The simple fact is, there are parts available to make those engines reliable and strong AND WORTH supercharging. That same scenario just doesn't exist now for the JK engine. You can believe whatever smoke and mirrors advertisement schemes these manufacturers blow at you if you want. To have a successfully built long term supercharged engine, it has to be built for it.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 07-16-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Ripp supercharger questions