Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP supercharger questions

Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIPP supercharger questions

How many are running the RIPP supercharger and what are your thoughts. are the long tube headers worth adding on ? Any regrets?
Anyone that has had both the RIPP and a Hemi conversion? I'm seriously considering this conversion in the near future.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup x2 on the surge, that is an annoying quirk.

The power is great, it honestly feels like a v8.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Having owned and worked on supercharged Fox Mustangs during the '90's (for 10 years) I can only input this - as long as you keep the psi relativing low, then harmony can exist with the stock engine/drive train/computer system, but once you past a "line in the sand", then it just becomes unmanageable. I tried everything in the world, literally, and at the end of the day finally pulled it all off and sold it. Reliability and driver comfort (no check engine lights, surges, etc.) was too important for me. I've had times (messing with the pullies for more boost) that I didn't get 200 feet from the house without lifting both heads off the block (weak factory head bolts). It got to be no fun.

My 2003 Ford Cobra was completely different because the long block, from the factory, was designed to with stand 1,000 hp), and came factory supercharged. So with I added the Kenne Bell and jumped up to 675 rwhp, the engine was fine and KB rewrote the fuel maps for the stock computer. All was good.

But once you start down the road of putting a blower on a stock factory engine with all the constraints inherent in it (intakes, port runners, cam timing is now wrong, exhaust too small, fuel maps wrong, timing curves wrong, transmission and/or clutch is too weak now, and on and on)... just take into consideration the full cost of having a vehicle you can count on day in and day out. That's just my experience and best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good feedback. It would be good to hear from someone who has run one for a few years and put a good 50K of supercharged miles on the alleged fragile 3.8
Old 09-29-2011, 01:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
How about the 3.8 is not fragile.

It is running 4 PSI more than what the original kit was designed for.

I did fry one tranny. But then again, I am pushing mine a bit past its limits.
Wow how did you go about changing this? Just different pulley?

Also did that make a big difference?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi,

I have over 50k on my Ripp Supercharger running on 35's. The performance of the SC has been great and noticeable. Like anything a few bugs and annoyances, about 3k miles ago I had some issues with one of the pulley's misaligning and eating my fan belt. I ran for a few weeks without the SC, by simply by passing it by using one of the original fan belts. I missed the SC greatly, and got my mechanic to work with the RIPP Guys and we have corrected the problem. The support and assistance from the RIPP guys is top notch.

Keep it maintained and looked after and you will enjoy. Looking to put another 50k worth of mileage on the RIPP.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
How many are running the RIPP supercharger and what are your thoughts. are the long tube headers worth adding on ? Any regrets?
Anyone that has had both the RIPP and a Hemi conversion? I'm seriously considering this conversion in the near future.
The supercharger is a great add on and most are happy with just it - If you have a 07-08 or a early 09 (which have 4 cats) the long tubes are a huge gain. If you have an mid 09-10 then the headers are less "power" and more efficient.

The headers are designed to move the torque from 3300rpm to 2700rpm and more importantly they move the heat away from the cylinder head down and away. We reserve the salesmanship to; "if you tow or have 37" tires or larger and/or larger built axles, the headers are a welcome mod"... Because they scavenge the heat and build more torque and HP earlier on. If you have Stock axles and 35's and don't tow the supercharger should suffice.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/RIPPMODS/videos/9/ RIPPTECH
Old 09-30-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Those of you running higher than 8psi, have you had your jeep dynoed? Just curious what kind if numbers you were seeing.

Also, how did you tune it for the additional boost?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

8500 trouble free miles so far. Put it on with 42k miles on the Jeep. Would do it again without question. Ripp has done a great job of making it feel like it came like this from the factory.

Someday I would like to add the headers, but the supercharger alone made huge difference. Being able to keep up with traffic in the mountains is great.

Mike
Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Default Thoughts and issues

I had the surge issue and I got on it hard one time and through the misfire code once.
Since installing the latest tune the surge problem is a lot better and I have not had a misfire since.
I have about 6,000 miles on mine so far. Just got back from FL 7 hours 1 way and it drove like a champ.
I really like being able to get in front of the a-holes who come up your butt (like they have some where to go)and then pass you at 1 mile per hour faster than you are going and make you take the cruise off or seat right next to you. If I see this is going to happen, then I push the petal and take off. (Usually close to 95 to 100 mph before I know it). It is the best mod I have done to date. I am getting 17-18 city 20-21 hwy if I keep it around 70.

Quick Reply: RIPP supercharger questions