Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ripp supercharger questions

Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ripp supercharger questions

hey
i am running 35's on a 09x with manual. I just got 4:88s installed, and wondering what peoples opinions are when it comes to running a supercharger with this setup.
let me know
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wranglerxnewbie
hey
i am running 35's on a 09x with manual. I just got 4:88s installed, and wondering what peoples opinions are when it comes to running a supercharger with this setup.
let me know
RIPP says to re-gear first so cross off #1 on the list. Have you driven one?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be a great addition. One of my favorite mods to date. Diff of night and day driving my brick.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cfr
RIPP says to re-gear first so cross off #1 on the list. Have you driven one?
Nope. Haven't driven a supercharged jeep. I am new to this, so forgive my ignorance. With the regear to 4:88s, I am obviously shifting more often to get up to driving speed. Will the supercharger really add alot more? With the regear, my rpms are higher, which feels like way more power. I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the gain in power since the new gears already feel like a new truck. Is it worth the 4000$ addition? Will my gas
milage suffer or improve. Again, sorry for the ignorance as I am tring to learn. Thanks guys!!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wranglerxnewbie
Nope. Haven't driven a supercharged jeep. I am new to this, so forgive my ignorance. With the regear to 4:88s, I am obviously shifting more often to get up to driving speed. Will the supercharger really add alot more? With the regear, my rpms are higher, which feels like way more power. I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the gain in power since the new gears already feel like a new truck. Is it worth the 4000$ addition? Will my gas
milage suffer or improve. Again, sorry for the ignorance as I am tring to learn. Thanks guys!!
I installed my RIPP SC a little over a month and 4000 miles ago in my 07 2DR six speed, and am running 35s. Not sure your shifting is going to change much (i.e., I presume you'll still want to drive in 6th when possible).

You'll add power, and it may be consistent or it may be a little "finicky" as some of us are experiencing. I lost 2-3 mpg though I still drive like a Grandpa, but some will say I could afford it as I used to get an average of ~19 mpg. Now hand calculations are yielding closer to 16.

Whether it's "worth it" or not is rather subjective. Verdict is honestly still out for me. Some guys wish it came from the factory like this, and I've met others who are either selling their JKs to start over, or removing the SC kit claiming that they've experienced too many problems for one reason or another. RIPP has cleaned up some of the issues, and they are still working others (you can search for RIPP + issues or problems if you're interested in specifics).

I really want mine to work out, and am planning to stick it out for a bit while Diablo continues to modify the tunes.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

I'm in the same boat.. I have a 2dr manual w/35's. I am still running the stock 3.21 gears and its not all that bad.. However I am planning on getting a PR44 and re-gearing to 4.88's. I'm starting to think that the 4.88's will be enough more punch for a 2dr manual. If I had a 4dr auto, well, that would be a different story..
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Other than an engine swap, what other options are out there? Also, it seems like the guys who are really enjoying the Ripp have spent much time on a dyno with an experienced tuner after installing the pre-programmed tune.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by invictus
Other than an engine swap, what other options are out there? Also, it seems like the guys who are really enjoying the Ripp have spent much time on a dyno with an experienced tuner after installing the pre-programmed tune.
Hi invictus,

I have a 2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited with the RIPP SC and 35x12.5 tires and the Auto tranny. I'm still running stock diffs at 4.10 and it runs great - at this point, I'm not sure if I want to upgrade the diffs. I haven't been to a dyno shop yet, but at some point I might.

Here's my take on the engine swap - waaaay more expensive than getting a supercharger, it weighs more, uses more gas and you only get a bit more HP. I was dead set on going with the hemi sway until I started checking into this RIPP SC, and I couldn't imagine paying for the hemi now!

My 2 cents...

CM

Last edited by CM5280; 05-16-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I Drove RIPP's Unlimited (5.38, lifted 4"+/-,37's) in Moab a few weeks ago and WOW. I think the guys that have spent some extra time and money at a dyno are getting a little better results but after working with RIPP with their headers and Diablo on a tune for just the headers I am very impressed.

If you do have an issue and take the time to pick up the phone they will work with you. Their CSR's can be a little brash (they all seem to be from NY, RIPP is in NY and Diablo is in FLA) but if you call with specifics they will spend all the time needed to work things out.

I had a bit of a train wreck loading my tunes (partly my fault, partly RIPP's fault and partly Diablo's fault) I called RIPP Monday AM and explained what happened and after comparing notes called Diablo who spent almost 1 1/2 hours getting everything fixed...Runs great now!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks CM, I'm considering doing the SC with stock gears on my 6 speed and your input helps.

The other option I'm considering is Ripp headers and 4.88s as opposed to the SC - may be a thread hijack but any input?

Quick Reply: ripp supercharger questions