Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp Supercharger Question

Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to run a RIPP but am concened with the longivity of the 3.8 with the RIPP on it. Can you tell us what to look for and what problems to look for?
I know Jeep tried to run a supercharger on the 3.8 for the Jeep but it always blew the bottom out so they stopped. Is this something to expect? Or is this just a manufacturer scare tactic
(too expensive for them to make money on it from the factory)?
Thank you for all your help RIPP, we all need some help. I hate a slug vehicle that cant move out of its own way
Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read, the 3.8 is built with fairly stout parts (sharing rods with some of Chrysler's V-8s etc). Plus I am not concerned as the motors are built start and run reliably at temperatures as low as -40 degrees C/F (I know this as I am an engineer that has done internships at one of the big 3). At those temps the density of the incoming air charge is equal to between 2 and 3 PSI boost at ambient temperature. This means that running 6 PSI boost at ambient temperature will only raise the in-cylinder pressure about 20% over what its designed for that is well within the safety factor built into these motors.

Now this is not to say that if you take your Jeep out and race every other person you run into you won't blow your engine. But my thought is that it will probably cause less wear on your engine in the long run with the SC because you won't need to rev the engine as much to satisfy the torque demand you need from your engine and the high RPMs is where you run into the danger of something coming apart and blowing your engine.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpm152
From what I've read, the 3.8 is built with fairly stout parts (sharing rods with some of Chrysler's V-8s etc). Plus I am not concerned as the motors are built start and run reliably at temperatures as low as -40 degrees C/F (I know this as I am an engineer that has done internships at one of the big 3). At those temps the density of the incoming air charge is equal to between 2 and 3 PSI boost at ambient temperature. This means that running 6 PSI boost at ambient temperature will only raise the in-cylinder pressure about 20% over what its designed for that is well within the safety factor built into these motors.

Now this is not to say that if you take your Jeep out and race every other person you run into you won't blow your engine. But my thought is that it will probably cause less wear on your engine in the long run with the SC because you won't need to rev the engine as much to satisfy the torque demand you need from your engine and the high RPMs is where you run into the danger of something coming apart and blowing your engine.
yah, so there
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Well by the time I can afford one of these we will know how they affect the 3.8 in the long run. If people haven't all blown their motors i'm good
Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Have any of you visited Ripss website? The answers to most of your questions can be found there as well as some videos of dyno pulls, etc.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpm152
Thanks Ripp, would you be able to post the dyno charts comparing stock to supercharged? I'm curious about the torque/horsepower curves
Sure here you go:

Stock Auto on Stock tires and gears

Boosted Auto on Stock Tires and gears

Stock Auto on 35’s Stock 4:11’s

Compare

Stock 6spd 37’s stock gears

Boosted 6spd

Originally Posted by Marine
How much is the RIPP supercharget setup for the JK? I have been saving for the hemi install, but if the RIPP is significantly cheaper and can help me get 37" tires over the colorado rockies and into MOAB then I am interested.

RIPP do you have specs, photos, videos, or any literature describing the pros - cons of your setup?

Can you use this supercharger with a superchip programmer or does this setup come with its own programmer?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread mate.
Pros:
  • 100-120More Whp
  • 2-6 additional MPG
  • 4-6 Install time
  • Reveres install in 5mins
  • Check Engine light free environment
  • Comes with everything you need in the box no hidden charges
  • Quality of the parts used
  • One year warranty
  • Customer support
  • Nearly 300 kits sold

Cons:
  • Blower Noise inherent to any blower
  • Automatic tend to be over protective of the drive train

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 09-24-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Well, the Pro's sure sound good. The first con I can definitely live with.

But I'm not sure what this means?
Automatic tend to be over protective of the drive train
Old 09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Well, the Pro's sure sound good. The first con I can definitely live with.

But I'm not sure what this means?
Sure that’s an easy one for us as well -

Chrysler was kind enough to install a beautiful circuit called Torque Request Denied (TRD) this is better known as the "little red lightning bolt in the center of the dash"...

If a JK is not set up properly this alarm goes off like the bells of Notre-Dame… Meaning if your running a larger tire gears are absolutely required and in most cases over gearing is the best way so 4:88’s (6spds) to 33’s and no larger. 5:13’s larger 33’s 35’s or 5:38’s larger 35’s though 38’s… period… secondly a Speedo-Calibrator in an absolute. RIPP only endorses the Hypertech units…

The TRD can go off from in NA form and there’s plenty of guys who trigger it – because we make you aware of it up front - that’s the “thing” your dealing with… this is inherent to the Autos only and 6spds do not trigger this circuit – This circuit is designed to protect the power train – so if you pull to much weight or try to pull a stump and over drive the drive line the trans ECU slows you down.

Sooo if your hauling along the highway at 75-85mph(mind you) and you crank it up the alarms can go off – you can totally avoid this by simply – slightly lifting off the throttle where the circuit is never triggered… then you can “safely” accelerate to 100+…
Old 09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would have one if it were not for the biggest con I can think of - price.

Maybe when someone puts out one in the 2.5-3K range like there is for the Cherokee.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
I would have one if it were not for the biggest con I can think of - price.

Maybe when someone puts out one in the 2.5-3K range like there is for the Cherokee.

Agreed...I just went and looked at the price.. $5K for this kit?? I think for the difference in price I would pay the difference for a 5.7 or 6.1L Hemi with 400HP..

If It was $2500 to $3000 absolute most I would buy one tommorrow....I HATE not being able to pull eisenhouer tunnel on I70

I also agree, low end I don't need it offroading (what 4:1 and low gears are for)...what I want is power to pull the passes in the mountains.

Quick Reply: Ripp Supercharger Question