Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Supercharger Help

Old 11-20-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIPP Supercharger Help

Hey all I just installed the RIPP Supercharger and headers. I started it up and I am getting no check engine lights or anything but at idol the it is very loud. It sounds almost as if a bearing is bad or there is metal on metal contact. Is this noise normal during break in? or is this the normal sound of a supercharger at idle?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by Dmerk524; 11-21-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dmerk524
Hey all I just installed the RIPP Supercharger and headers. I started it up and I am getting no check engine lights or anything but at idol the it is very loud. It sounds almost as if a bearing is bad or there is metal on metal contact. Is this noise normal during break in? or is this the normal sound of a supercharger at idol?

Thanks,

Dan
I don't have first hand experience with the RIPP yet, but have been doing some research. They are supposed to be fairly quiet at idle. In the Spike TV Episode they reference the importance of installing the oil vent. It is capped for shipping. Did you do this?

Here's a link to the episode if you want to watch it.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...v=616294623968
Old 11-20-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Hey all I just installed the RIPP Supercharger and headers. I started it up and I am getting no check engine lights or anything but at idol the it is very loud. It sounds almost as if a bearing is bad or there is metal on metal contact. Is this noise normal during break in? or is this the normal sound of a supercharger at idol?

Thanks,

Dan
Don't run it anymore until you speak to RIPP monday it's not suppose to make that noise i have one something is wrong
Old 11-21-2010, 02:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a video of my startup for you to compare to. Its pretty loud at first, your rpms will we upwards of 1000. Engine will cycle down to around 600 and it will be fairly quiet.

Make sure you put the vent in!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQWVjUA5KY
Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put the vent in and mine sounds a lot like the video you posted. Just a little louder. I will definitely call ripp on monday to make sure.

Thank you all
Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the vent in and mine sounds a lot like the video you posted. Just a little louder. I will definitely call ripp on monday to make sure.

Thank you all
Ross @ Ripp said thats exactly how they sound (talking about my video). If at all possible you should shoot one also and give Ross a link to view it. I felt like you when I first heard it also.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey all I just installed the RIPP Supercharger and headers. I started it up and I am getting no check engine lights or anything but at idol the it is very loud. It sounds almost as if a bearing is bad or there is metal on metal contact. Is this noise normal during break in? or is this the normal sound of a supercharger at idle?

Thanks,

Dan
Their no silent - they have a small metallic sound at first...

When they are new the gears are sharp at the end and they sound a little freaky for first time ears - then, as you put miles on them the edges soften up and they get quieter -

Can one be noisier than another, yes - By a little, yea - by a lot, no. Check the oil and make sure there is no excessive metal in it.

Quick Reply: RIPP Supercharger Help