Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp super charger intercooler and auto trans cooler

Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ripp super charger intercooler and auto trans cooler

So I've saved almost enough to buy the Ripp gen2 stage 2 supercharger. I've check out videos and read through the instal manual a few times in preparation. However, I was wondering if anyone has an auto transmission cooler installed with the Ripp supercharger and intercooler? From the videos and pics, it looks like it'll fill up all of the room in front f the radiator where I would plan to install an auto trans cooler. I'm moving to Houston and plan this to be a daily driver and mild weekend offroad warrior. Any input into which cooler would fit, what design, and where? Thanks.

Btw I have the 2009 4 door unlimited x all stock with 3.73 gear and plan to only put on 33" tires on and maybe small 2.5" lift. No plans to regear unless I really get into more wild wheeling.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have the RIPP Gen 2 SC and an auto transmission cooler installed. Most people install the cooler between the intercooler and the radiator. However, I've noticed that in the summer and while rock crawling the radiator fan is constantly ON. I believe the combination of the SC intercooler and the auto transmission cooler in front of the radiator is blocking too much cooling air.

So, I installed my auto transmission cooler behind the radiator. Also, the RIPP instructions specify not to let the intercooler touch the radiator because they could create a hot spot that might burn a hole into the intercooler (costly mistake). If the transmission cooler is sandwiched between the radiator and the intercooler (a tight fit), you might have metal touching metal.

Check out how I installed the tranmission cooler behind the radiator. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...3/#post2820231
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Happy Trails
Yes, I have the RIPP Gen 2 SC and an auto transmission cooler installed. Most people install the cooler between the intercooler and the radiator. However, I've noticed that in the summer and while rock crawling the radiator fan is constantly ON. I believe the combination of the SC intercooler and the auto transmission cooler in front of the radiator is blocking too much cooling air.

So, I installed my auto transmission cooler behind the radiator. Also, the RIPP instructions specify not to let the intercooler touch the radiator because they could create a hot spot that might burn a hole into the intercooler (costly mistake). If the transmission cooler is sandwiched between the radiator and the intercooler (a tight fit), you might have metal touching metal.

Check out how I installed the tranmission cooler behind the radiator. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...3/#post2820231
This is all correct - thank you -

We will add our calibrations are very thorough and if the air/water and/or exhaust temps go up beyond a specified value we turn on the coolant fan to bring them down (or move fueling/timing around)... We use the fans low/high settings accordingly based on those values... So you should be hearing the fan more often

RIPPTECH
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the ORW transmission cooler kit behind the radiator and it has done well. The kit was designed for jeeps with the intercooler already taking up the space in front of the radiator. The kit comes complete with hoses and fittings.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4wdave
I installed the ORW transmission cooler kit behind the radiator and it has done well. The kit was designed for jeeps with the intercooler already taking up the space in front of the radiator. The kit comes complete with hoses and fittings.
Awesome - Thanks for the heads up Please post pics

RIPPTECH
Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Awesome - Thanks for the heads up Please post pics

RIPPTECH
I did some searching as I'm getting closer to saving enough money the Ripp Supercharger Gen2 Stage 2 Kit, and I found pics of the ORW transcooler mounted BEHIND the radiator posted by ORW themselves on JKs that had the Ripp Supercharger and intercooler: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...188653/page12/
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Behind the radiator is the way to go if you have an intercooler. Plenty of room and air movement. Attached mine to front cross member with bracket made by local shop. On long up hill climbs in 4hi, tranny temp might hit 200 degrees now - use to run the 220's or higher...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

I am having some issues getting near overheating with my RIPP Gen2 when i go up the long hill to my house at ~30MPH on 100 degree days. It makes me nervous what will happen when I go crawling in the heat. Has anyone replaced the stock fan with a dual fan setup to get more airflow? I want to put in the ORW tranny cooler behind the radiator - but i want to address this issue first.

thx
Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4wdave
I have this kit sitting in the box at the house. I need to get it installed. I have had several pictures sent to me by ORW and a member of this forum. It may have been you 4wdave. Can't rememeber. From what I have been told the install is not to bad and it works like a charm.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

The ORW Trans cooler kit works great. They have published the install manual on the ORW web site, and the photos are from the install they did on my Jeep.

The guys did an outstanding job and wouldn't hesitate to go back for other work. Just the drive is a little far, 2 - 2.5 hours.

I have also added some hood louvers since the install to help let heat out. Used a 5 piece TJ kit, you can feel the heat coming out of the louvers, don't know that I have seen much of a difference in engine and air intake temps once I added the Louvers.
Attachment 357747 Attachment 357748

Currently I don't have a trans temp gauge but I do track engine and air intake temps. Since I am in So Cal and we are going through our hotter time of the year, this is what I can tell you. Once the outside temps get over 85 the impact is felt on the RIPP. Engine temps around town are 204 - 208 and we can't go anyplace with out some type of up hill driving. Once the temp outside get over 90 - 95 I generally drive another car as running with the Air Conditioner on and those temps the jeep isn't happy. Wonder how the guys in the Middle East fair? Also anything under 50-55mph around town I will turn off overdrive which RIPP recommends turning off overdrive around town. (sorry went off topic a bit, by why stop now)

On the freeway my engine temp goes up over 210 to 218, since most all the freeway driving I do isn't flat the uphill climbs push the engine temps up quickly. Also checked with a buddy who is a service manager for large jeep dealer and normal running temp is 200- 220. Asked about putting in a 180 degree thermostat and he said no need.

Off-road, other than the noise of the fan running all the time no issue with temps. We off-road both lower and higher elevation, BigBear we run 6,000 ft or better.

Air intake temps, once the air intake temp gets over 110 degrees or so the RIPP starts dropping off power. I'm thinking of tying to insulate the air intake tubes with some type of insulation wrap. Once those get hot they take for ever to cool down.

Back on topic, the tans cooler works great and really hasn't added to much more heat in the engine compartment. My engine and air intake temps still run about the same as they did before I put the trans cooler in. Be curious to know what others are seeing.

Last edited by dasbus; 08-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Ripp super charger intercooler and auto trans cooler