Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ripp, I've got the 3.2 installed + the AS 220 map sensor. I run this jeep at 3500 to 6000' altitude with auto trans. You can use my jeep as a guinea pig. It has gotten better with the map sensor and the update. I got on it yesterday merging onto the hwy. This thing took off like a raped ape. Gotta love it. The cruise control issue is almost gone. I do have a little surging while acceleration. This is much better then where I started, and starting to enjoy the SC. I'm still waiting for my new drive and belt for the altitude. I'm hoping this may also make a difference.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
So I just got the 3.2 tune last night from RIPP.
After installing the tune, my MAP sensor was now reading 14.7PSI key on engine not running. This is a good thing as now the tune is actually reading the voltage output of the MAP properly.
However, this question was not answered in my e mail to RIPP, and it leaves a concern about future tuning.
Since in fact the original tunes were based on a MAP that supplied a certain voltage output for what it thinks is absolute atmospheric pressure. What happens to everyone tunes if their MAP sensors are all supplying different voltage readings? Is everyone's tune needing to be re calibrated so the tune now knows what 14.7 PSI really is?
What happens is my MAP sensor fails and I go out and buy a new one, now I have to have my tune re calibrated?
It would seem to me the better solution is to QC every map sensor and make sure they are all reading the same voltage under the same atmospheric conditions instead of tweaking each tune to the MAP sensor supplied.

At any rate, I installed the 3.2 tune. It got rid of the cutting out at high RPM and most of the surging at cruise. It still has a few spots under load where it surges a bit but clears up. Although the AFR readings are deep into the 11s so we are looking pretty safe there.

There is no possible way that a canned tune is going to work for every rig out there as there are some variables that RIPP cannot always account for such as your engines overall condition, airflow mods such as exhaust and general state of all your own sensors. With that said, my own 02 sensors have 70k on them and should probably be replaced and we will see of that cleans things up a bit more.

Outside of that, the new 3.2 tune seems to have the kinks worked out of it for me.
Thanks for the perspective - Good to hear your running soundly - that's really the overlying importance.

The reason we went with the re-tune and not just QCing the MAP sensor is because there was a failure on MOPAR's part to supply anyone buying that part number a solid unit. As a result RIPP needed to re-write its tuning to accommodate its clients. By performing the requested test, we can get a base number your starting with and provide you with a solid running tune. We want the value so we can catalog how many odd map sensors we have - The fact is our 3.2 can handle nearly any combination we throw at it. The short of it is, should you replace the MAP you already hold the correct tune. Its either in the tool already or on your computer as a 2.x series of tunes. Any one of those will work on the correct MAP sensor. At the moment there are no "good" MAP sensors because they have been nationally recalled.... period.

or

You can resend your system info as requested and we will provide you with a re-write...

With respect to false codes - There are false codes, its in the scaling of the respective sensor, if a programmer does not properly scale the tuning and configure it for a "broader" value, the OBD2 will trip a "false code". We call it false because what it perceived as a "lean condition" is actually not happening where you would think... The code will inherently read "lean" for example, but its reading lean in an "off throttle" or coasting section of the tune and not during hard acceleration or otherwise, open loop.

Lastly - one tune can fit all vehicles because RIPP writes OEM tunes - meaning we do not trick the ECU in anyway and actually write our tunes for weak fuels, altitude and a multitude of variants that can happen. We do agree, there are combinations we can't possibly account for but we do our best. We take the fact that Jeeper's will drive 2000 miles from home to go 100 miles into the middle of nowhere seriously.

Thanks,
RIPPTECH
Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

With respect to false codes - There are false codes, its in the scaling of the respective sensor, if a programmer does not properly scale the tuning and configure it for a "broader" value, the OBD2 will trip a "false code". We call it false because what it perceived as a "lean condition" is actually not happening where you would think... The code will inherently read "lean" for example, but its reading lean in an "off throttle" or coasting section of the tune and not during hard acceleration or otherwise, open loop.

I always thought it was a little weird to get an explanation for a false code... RIPP, when I brought it up before, I did not get the above explanation, and if I did, I would have mentioned that these codes were thrown during full throttle acceleration...

Also, as some of the other guys have mentioned, I installed the 3.2 tune a week or so ago and just today had it cut out real hard at 4500 rpm with mild acceleration. The check engine light beeped, flashed for a few seconds then disappeared.

The biggest issues seem to have been fixed, but I am continually getting surging at cruise and 2 different cut outs in the past week. Could this surging have to do with the transmission and not necessarily the engine? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the shift points based off MAP info? Could this be causing the tranny to lock and unlock at cruise? Just an idea...

So RIPP, what is the next step?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
I always thought it was a little weird to get an explanation for a false code... RIPP, when I brought it up before, I did not get the above explanation, and if I did, I would have mentioned that these codes were thrown during full throttle acceleration...

Also, as some of the other guys have mentioned, I installed the 3.2 tune a week or so ago and just today had it cut out real hard at 4500 rpm with mild acceleration. The check engine light beeped, flashed for a few seconds then disappeared.

The biggest issues seem to have been fixed, but I am continually getting surging at cruise and 2 different cut outs in the past week. Could this surging have to do with the transmission and not necessarily the engine? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the shift points based off MAP info? Could this be causing the tranny to lock and unlock at cruise? Just an idea...

So RIPP, what is the next step?
Cruise will never be 100% - its a happy medium between not having an assisting IAC valve to compensate for small throttle correction and 200-300cfm of air being utilized via the compressor.... the slight surge will correct electronically via the Drive By Wire Throttle Body - its the only valve the intake has - so its a product of the platform... But if we break any new ground with it we'll release an update.

Lock and unlock - whats locking and unlocking?

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti

I will hand it to RIPP. Their tunes are a lot more stable than some of the other forced induction products I have played with. 3.2 works for me and very well. Not to mention they did get the tune out in a very timely fashion.
Excellent info - thanks for the
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I, too, sent an email for the 3.2 tune , got the request to use the diablo to check baro and got the following numbers:

22.18 Hg

Using torque, an android app, and an OBDII bluetooth device, I got 10.9 psi, which is equivalent to 22.18 Hg.

TO compare I plugged Torque into my Corvette and got 14.6 psi, which is where it should be as I'm at sea level.

Curious to know whether the MAP sensor provided by RIPP is the problem..

Waiting on the new 3.2 tune to see the results....

Question for RIPP:

Is the new tune (3.2) designed to compensate for the MAP sensor error? If so, and assuming the MAP sensor is faulty, wouldn't it be better to just go out and buy a sensor that reads correctly (14.6 psi) and use the tune I currently have (2.6). I don't want any issues down the road where I would have to replace the MAP sensor and the new sensor reads correctly (14.7 psi vice the 10.9 psi the one I have currently reads) and then I'm back at square one with a tune (3.2) that is written for the faulty sensor.... Just curious as to which would be the better option.

Last edited by ChrisLe; 07-24-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

The reason we went with the re-tune and not just QCing the MAP sensor is because there was a failure on MOPAR's part to supply anyone buying that part number a solid unit. As a result RIPP needed to re-write its tuning to accommodate its clients. By performing the requested test, we can get a base number your starting with and provide you with a solid running tune. We want the value so we can catalog how many odd map sensors we have - The fact is our 3.2 can handle nearly any combination we throw at it. The short of it is, should you replace the MAP you already hold the correct tune. Its either in the tool already or on your computer as a 2.x series of tunes. Any one of those will work on the correct MAP sensor. At the moment there are no "good" MAP sensors because they have been nationally recalled.... period.

Thanks,
RIPPTECH
I'm confused a little here . . . sorry.

If the MAP sensors "have been nationally recalled", shouldn't we be taking the sensors in to our dealerships to have them replaced with good units?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does the AS 220 (2004/2005 Neon srt4) map sensor remain a viable option. Will this fix the problem of the Map Sensor. Since I've changed to it, and gotten the 3.2 tune, the jeep is running a whole lot better. As I put miles on it, it does act much more stable. Who do I send my initial map sensor to?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Ok regarding Map sensor's

Here's the story, we have found that map sensors were being manufactured wrong (directly from mopar) We stopped the use of them and had to revert to another map sensor to replace it. This new sensor works perfectly but the Diablo Sport tuner will have to be adjusted to read it.

I wish it was easy enough to go buy more map sensors that work.. but it seems that these sensors were stocked though out the entire nation wrongly. (could be a huge part number mix-up, we'll never know)

For now we will be using a new sensor that will require the updated tune 3.2
we have also made a few improvements with this update.

If you have any concerns about your set-up please don't hesitate to contact us directly
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the story, we have found that map sensors were being manufactured wrong (directly from mopar) We stopped the use of them and had to revert to another map sensor to replace it. This new sensor works perfectly but the Diablo Sport tuner will have to be adjusted to read it.

I wish it was easy enough to go buy more map sensors that work.. but it seems that these sensors were stocked though out the entire nation wrongly. (could be a huge part number mix-up, we'll never know)

If you have any concerns about your set-up please don't hesitate to contact us directly
Sounds good. I assume we're running the old sensor. If so, do we have a manufacturer/model # for the new sensor?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post

Sounds good. I assume we're running the old sensor. If so, do we have a manufacturer/model # for the new sensor?
RIPP,

ANy updates??

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues