Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
First off, just got the new MAP sensor from RIPP this morning and damn was that quick! Thanks for the prompt shipping!
I think they are onto something with the MAP sensor and the cruise problem.
This is the logical place to look, I'd also be interested in checking the coolant temperature sensor and intake temp sensors on those with surging issues at cruise.

I am sure someone at Diablo has a program to do the iterations and reversion, but with the limited amount of data available from those with surging issues, it might take a while to put the matrix together reliably. I encourage all of you with the surging issues to catalog and send your data to RIPP and Diablo.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Default RIPP SC Surge Issue

Originally Posted by inverse121
I encourage all of you with the surging issues to catalog and send your data to RIPP and Diablo.
I'm waiting until they ask as then I'll know they want the data and intend to at least subject it to analysis. They may have some other undisclosed path forward to ascertain root cause, or for all we know, they may already know what causes the issue and it's one that can not be remedied. Without communication on their part, really hard to say.

And keep in mind, they have limited technical resources, at least some of which, are being diverted to the integration efforts of their SC system with the 2011 year models.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inverse121

Surging is usually a sign of a lean condition.
This is not the case at all -

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
I'm waiting until they ask as then I'll know they want the data and intend to at least subject it to analysis. They may have some other undisclosed path forward to ascertain root cause, or for all we know, they may already know what causes the issue and it's one that can not be remedied. Without communication on their part, really hard to say.

And keep in mind, they have limited technical resources, at least some of which, are being diverted to the integration efforts of their SC system with the 2011 year models.
To be clear we do not disclose tuning info with public forums - our competitors are also forum members and we do not wish to misinform them.

The variable was a MAP sensor with questionable scaling We have it harnessed and direction will be administered to end users. What RIPP has done is accrued every model we support, auto/6spd - 07-2010 and run through the variables. We then added high altitude and low octane into the mix so we have it covered from all angels. Our Engineer is almost done with the process....

Sit tight guys we're on it...

RIPPTECH
Old 07-03-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
The variable was a MAP sensor with questionable scaling We have it harnessed and direction will be administered to end users. What RIPP has done is accrued every model we support, auto/6spd - 07-2010 and run through the variables. We then added high altitude and low octane into the mix so we have it covered from all angels. Our Engineer is almost done with the process....

Sit tight guys we're on it...

RIPPTECH
Thanks for the update. Can we expect emails, or do you plan on posting an alert in the forum like you've done in the past?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

The variable was a MAP sensor with questionable scaling We have it harnessed and direction will be administered to end users.
RIPPTECH
Does the MAP sensor issue apply to all RIPP SCs or just those that are having this specific issue? Keep us updated...
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ChrisLe
Does the MAP sensor issue apply to all RIPP SCs or just those that are having this specific issue? Keep us updated...
Kind of sounds like all the RIPP MAP sensors - questionable scaling would apply to all I think.

Glad to hear of the progress and while "sitting tight", am nonetheless excited over this latest development at RIPP.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat as everyone. I have a 09 with Auto. I was advised to try putting in a new map sensor. AS220 from Standard brands. (Purchased at the parts store for $24.95)This comes out of a 2004=2005 dodge neon srt4. I had to brake of a little tab on the connector to connect properly.(no big deal) I also installed the 3.2 update and this seems to have cured most if not all of the problems. I've only got about 20 miles on it so far but it does feel a whole lot better. I'll drive it more when I get back in a week.

Last edited by JAFHR; 07-12-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Kind of sounds like all the RIPP MAP sensors - questionable scaling would apply to all I think.

Glad to hear of the progress and while "sitting tight", am nonetheless excited over this latest development at RIPP.

Originally Posted by JAFHR
I'm in the same boat as everyone. I have a 09 with Auto. I was advised to try putting in a new map sensor. AS220 from Standard brands. (Purchased at the parts store for $24.95)This comes out of a 2004=2005 dodge neon srt4. I had to brake of a little tab on the connector to connect properly.(no big deal) I also installed the 3.2 update and this seems to have cured most if not all of the problems. I've only got about 20 miles on it so far but it does feel a whole lot better. I'll drive it more when I get back in a week.
We are Field-testing a solution - an update is coming together -

RIPPTECH
Old 07-18-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

OK Guys, I thought it was time to give you an update on my RIPP...

I live in Denver and installed the RIPP in May 2011. With a couple of guys, the install was fairly painless - hardest part is installing the injectors.

Driving around Denver (~5500' altitude), the Jeep runs real strong. My first 4-wheeling trip to Slaughterhouse Gulch (~9500') was a total bust. The drive up the mountain roads was great, but I stopped at the Loaf and Jug outside of Bailey to top off my gas. When I started her up, long start, rough idle, threw a P0129 code and had absolutely no power. After talking to Ross a few times to try a few things, I finally gave up and limped back to Denver.

RIPP sent me another tune (v2.3 - supposedly the one everyone's used at a variety of altitudes) and I repeated my trip up to Bailey about a month later. Topped off gas again, started her up and had exactly the same problem. I put the stock MAP sensor back on, didn't get the P0129 code but my baby was still not happy so I limped back home again.

Third time's a charm I guess - RIPP sent me v3.2 of the tune last week and on Saturday I repeated my trip up the hills. I stopped and topped off the gas again, fired her up and NO PROBLEMS . We ran Slaughterhouse and the Jeep performed like a champ! 4LO has a ton of power. I'm soooo much happier now because if it hadn't worked I was ready to pull off the SC and attempt to get a full refund!

So, my last ongoing issue that others have complained about is surging with the cruise control on - it's still happening with this tune but it's only a minor annoyance. If RIPP can get that sorted out, I'll finally review the RIPP on their site and give it a full 5 star rating.

Also, my average MPG went from just below 14MPG (pre-RIPP) to a solid 17.5MPG (post-RIPP) . I'm sure if I did more highway driving it'd be well over 20MPG.

CM
Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by CM5280
OK Guys, I thought it was time to give you an update on my RIPP...

I live in Denver and installed the RIPP in May 2011. With a couple of guys, the install was fairly painless - hardest part is installing the injectors.

Driving around Denver (~5500' altitude), the Jeep runs real strong. My first 4-wheeling trip to Slaughterhouse Gulch (~9500') was a total bust. The drive up the mountain roads was great, but I stopped at the Loaf and Jug outside of Bailey to top off my gas. When I started her up, long start, rough idle, threw a P0129 code and had absolutely no power. After talking to Ross a few times to try a few things, I finally gave up and limped back to Denver.

RIPP sent me another tune (v2.3 - supposedly the one everyone's used at a variety of altitudes) and I repeated my trip up to Bailey about a month later. Topped off gas again, started her up and had exactly the same problem. I put the stock MAP sensor back on, didn't get the P0129 code but my baby was still not happy so I limped back home again.

Third time's a charm I guess - RIPP sent me v3.2 of the tune last week and on Saturday I repeated my trip up the hills. I stopped and topped off the gas again, fired her up and NO PROBLEMS . We ran Slaughterhouse and the Jeep performed like a champ! 4LO has a ton of power. I'm soooo much happier now because if it hadn't worked I was ready to pull off the SC and attempt to get a full refund!

So, my last ongoing issue that others have complained about is surging with the cruise control on - it's still happening with this tune but it's only a minor annoyance. If RIPP can get that sorted out, I'll finally review the RIPP on their site and give it a full 5 star rating.

Also, my average MPG went from just below 14MPG (pre-RIPP) to a solid 17.5MPG (post-RIPP) . I'm sure if I did more highway driving it'd be well over 20MPG.

CM
Excellent - this is what we want to hear - as a matter of fact - Please respond to our tuning email with the supplied 3.2 tune and we will have you run a small test - Lets see if we can't earn our five stars...

Thread subscribers and followers - RIPP has been hard at work narrowing down, what was though to be a RIPP tune related ghost - Over the last week we asked several end users working with RIPP to supply values. After-which we put out several BETA test tunes like the 3.2 and the response has been positive -

If you are on this thread and would like to test a tune.... please email ripptuning@gmail.com with the following.
  • Year and trans type of JK
  • Your original Back up file from JK
  • Your RIPP Supplied Tune for reference

We will review the data and send you off a corrected calibration - we may request additional information - If so Detailed instructions will be attached.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues