Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tunes

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Hi guys -

Please report back to us regarding the new tunes sent:

CBASS
JKPROFF
Tyler2786

RIPPTECH
Are those guys beta testing some new tunes, or should all of us running the Gen II intercooled RIPP supercharger be expecting new tunes?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Are those guys beta testing some new tunes, or should all of us running the Gen II intercooled RIPP supercharger be expecting new tunes?
It looks like we're the guys experiencing similar issues... if you're having the same problem, let them know. Maybe more data can help narrow it down
Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

So there was breakthrough today!

With the help of one of the programmers, Brian, he discovered I have a faulty MAP sensor as it only reads 10.8 psi with the engine off. According to him and the engine data I sent, that should fix the problem. But until then I shouldn't drive it, so, RIPP, I need a new MAP sensor ASAP!!!! lol

A huge thanks to Brian and hopefully this really is the problem!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Default RIPP SC Issues

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
It looks like we're the guys experiencing similar issues... if you're having the same problem, let them know. Maybe more data can help narrow it down
They've never asked me for data even though I'm experiencing the cruise control surge issue, rough idle at start, and a 3-4 MPG drop in fuel economy. Can that data be collected with our Diablo Predator and sent to them, or is something like an Aeroforce gauge required?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the DataViewer 3.3 that can be downloaded for free from the Diablo website. You just hook up your tuner to the OBD-II port and then connect that to a laptop in the Jeep. When you open the viewer and can choose the PID's to record and then record a drive where you experience all the problems. This will save as a .txt file that I then sent to ripptuning.

The first thing you should check though is your MAP sensor readings with the engine off and the key on. You can do this straight from the diagnostics on the tuner. It's under the intake menu and then MAP. This should read atmospheric pressure with the engine off (14.7 here at sea level).
Mine was reading 10.8 psi, so that's when they decided that was the issue. If the manifold pressure is off, it'll through everything else out of whack too. How just hoping I didn't cause any irreversible damage during the past 2 months.

Best of luck to ya!

Last edited by Tyler2786; 06-25-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my blower and was really happy until I turned my cruise on. Yep, same problem. I'm up at altitude 3500-5000 and thought that this may have attributed to it. I was also getting what's called a defuel situation. This happens when the jeep shifts gears (auto) and defuels the injectors just for a second in order to safe the tranny. (easier shifting) This is very noticeable.

Talking with Ross, he sent me another tune and it did make a little difference on the cruise control, it still has the surging going up a hill or long grade. It is annoying. I've been told to put a few hundred miles on it.

Where do we get the data logger. The diablo is supposed to be able to do that according to Ripp. There are too many manual tests for me to figure it out so far.

I think once these little quirks are worked out, this is going to be really nice, I know there is a huge difference in highway and offroad driving. My MPG went up 2-3 . I'm seriously running up to 24.3 mpg at 60mph.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The tunes are stable - the variable has been the MAP sensor - We will be working a work-through for clients to follow if there are issues... Not everyone has the issue.

We knew there had to be a variable somewhere - it was just a matter of time before it surfaced - Go figure an OEM part like the MAP sensor would cause an issue... Here is a case where we are NOT cheaping out an buying second rate product and experiencing random issue like this.

For the record - this is a (-/+) 3 in 100pc issue - They just collect on the forums because the guys who have an issue surface for advice, but the guys that are running soundly have nothing to say...

RIPPTECH
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

RIPP,

What if you are experiencing these problems and your MAP readings are correct?

My Map is showing the correct Baro pressure when the engine is not running and has the surging and hot start issues. At 1200 ft my baro is showing 28.86 and the kPa reading corresponds to that also. When corrected for my altitude, it matches what my home barometer is reading.

I have sent logs to you on three separate dates, 5/24, 6/9 and 6/19, and haven't heard back. I put the tune that the Diablo tuner wanted in (toon) and it made the Jeep almost undrivable. The only thing it corrected was the hot start problem. the surge was much worse. I logged the problem and have since gone back to 2.6. With 2.6, the surge is much better and really strongest when cruise is on, but the hot start is worse. I have chosen the lesser of two evils and will stick with 2.6.

This is all something I am willing to live with because overall it is a geat system. However, if this issues could be resolved it would be a perfect system.

Mike
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
The first thing you should check though is your MAP sensor readings with the engine off and the key on. You can do this straight from the diagnostics on the tuner. It's under the intake menu and then MAP. This should read atmospheric pressure with the engine off (14.7 here at sea level).

Mine was reading 10.8 psi, so that's when they decided that was the issue. If the manifold pressure is off, it'll through everything else out of whack too.

Best of luck to ya!
Thank you - I'll check out my MAP based on what you've posted.

The tunes are stable - the variable has been the MAP sensor - We will be working a work-through for clients to follow if there are issues... Not everyone has the issue.

We knew there had to be a variable somewhere - it was just a matter of time before it surfaced - Go figure an OEM part like the MAP sensor would cause an issue... Here is a case where we are NOT cheaping out an buying second rate product and experiencing random issue like this.

For the record - this is a (-/+) 3 in 100pc issue -
Very interesting. I checked my emails and don't have anything from RIPPmods suggesting I check my MAP sensor. Is that the issue you speak of above, or is it the cruise control surge, rough idle, abnormal response at WOT?

What is the corrective process presently? Are the folks with issues supposed to be doing anything specifically to facilitate resolution of their SC problems?

. . . but the guys that are running soundly have nothing to say...

RIPPTECH
That's not a very encouraging, much less accurate, thing to say about those RIPP patrons who don't have issues considering I've seen numerous guys making videos, starting threads, snapping lots of pictures all extolling the wonders and praises of the RIPP supercharger. They've spent quite a bit of their own precious time doing so, and to intimate that the guys without issues are all silent somewhat demeans those efforts - the very same efforts that played a large part in my decision to purchase a RIPP SC. Just my .

I think I understand what you might have meant - guys shelling out $5K for a SC are going to be a little more vocal about their dissatisfaction if it doesn't work properly than those who basically get what they paid for. May be just an internet communication thing. If I read you wrong, sorry.

I know if my supercharger ever starts running seamlessly in the Jeep, I'll be singing RIPP's praises - no silence here.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 06-25-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Spent the whole day at the tuning shop...... 150/hr. I have a good guy working on it for sure, but no solution to the mild surge. He easily replicated it, but will talk to Diablo next week, to actually make some head way.

The best part for sure (for the money, which is like burning it cause I am so loaded) was the 35" tires howling on the dyno. The import tuner guys thought the world was coming to an end it was so loud!!! It was also hilarious how the tuners thought the Jeep with 35" tires was so big, there were not sure if would fit on the dyno!

The ripp tune, as far as power goes was very good, which doesn't surprise me, I have never complained about the power. The tuner easier fixed my weak start problem. He is going to continue to attempt to fix the surge. Diablo has also been able to correct the start problem and has been very helpful by shifting the VE tables, by contact them directly.

Contrary to the above post, the new 3.0 tune is the best yet so far and the surge is concerned. (please ripp keep working on this, there are more than 3 jeeps with this issue)

I believe I am making progress. (I am awaiting ripps responses to the changes made, to help the tuner get on the right track.)

Already the greatest vehicle money can buy... getting better.

Buy the way to the penestar crowd there is no way the new v6 is equivilent to a supercharged 3.8, I have test drove both the v6 and v8 in the new gc. Waiting for the new srt8 to be impressed.

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues