Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Is this the one with a P0129 code - ?

RIPPTECH
Do you mean a RIPPed SC JK? I know several of us have thrown that P0129 code including me, but in my instance that was caused by a misnamed stock tune that was sent back to me.

The latest tunes from Diablo are better (no more codes), but I still experience a lot of hesitation during easy acceleration the first three or four minutes after starting the Jeep when it's been sitting for awhile (particularly noticeable in the morning when the Jeep runs especially rough). And of course, there is still the cruise control surging bug, which is exacerbated if it is slightly breezy outside.

On the bright side, it appears that the power has "smoothed" out considerably during strong acceleration at RPMs above 3000 (used to start "missing" and then go flat). I haven't tried to go WOT during acceleration yet primarily because I'm already being forced back hard into the seat and am reaching high speeds very quickly, so this assessment may be premature. Also appears to be idling more consistently at stoplights. Thank you Diablo and RIPP for your continued efforts - they are evident in these latest tunes.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

The highway surge problem has been noted on several jeeps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ptoms-any-help

I assume it is more prevalent than ripp would have you believe, but it is a small problem so perhaps most don't bother to pursue it. Ripp tried some stuff but no luck. I couldn't find anyone who had the problem then reported resolved. I would say it is still outstanding for everyone who had it originally.

I am heading to a tuner this summer to see if a professional can fix it up. It is unfortunate but this one of those mods that has some quirky to go with the cool. So, I will throw some more money at it; that fixes most things.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Please keep us updated. This one particular issue is one that will hold me back from buying the kit as I spend lots of time at a steady cruise.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, an update to my ongoing issues...

Just installed the newest update 2.3 two days ago. This was supposed to be a fix for the surge issue. Then yesterday, I went to step on the gas entering the highway to give it a little test, that's when it went all wrong...

The trany downshifted to 1st like it should and hit about 5200 rpm and the jeep took off. However, once it hit 6000, it started sputtering, but before I could take my foot off the gas, the trany tried to shift and the revs hit 7000 and the engine died. I pulled it off the highway and it wouldn't start for 20 minutes. It finally turned over and I slowly drove home and reinstalled an older tune cause surging is better then being stranded and blowing my engine...

I emailed RIPP today and just got an "okay stand by for an update" from their tuning guys. Needless to say this is getting a little out of hand. If RIPP wants to chime in and offer some advice or anything, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Mine has that high RPM issue as well. Were you WOT, 3/4 gas? I am curious. Mine gets to about 5400 rpms and starts to sputter, cut out, etc. when at 3/4 throttle, if I let off the gas, it downshifts and it's fine, or I have to push the pedal all the way down (full throttle), get the RPMs up to about 6200, then it finally shifts, but only at full throttle. It's not a fun way to drive, having to let off, or go all the way down on the throttle. I can't really get a mellow entrance to a freeway.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This stuff is bringing a lot of memories back of tuning my old GM sport truck. I used to run software that gave full access to ECM code. I wish we had that ability to tune our JK's in that manner... or at least see what is going on in the shift point table. That would help diagnose some of this stuff.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inverse121
Please keep us updated. This one particular issue is one that will hold me back from buying the kit as I spend lots of time at a steady cruise.
Same.......
Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me three...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
So, an update to my ongoing issues...

Just installed the newest update 2.3 two days ago. This was supposed to be a fix for the surge issue. Then yesterday, I went to step on the gas entering the highway to give it a little test, that's when it went all wrong...

The trany downshifted to 1st like it should and hit about 5200 rpm and the jeep took off. However, once it hit 6000, it started sputtering, but before I could take my foot off the gas, the trany tried to shift and the revs hit 7000 and the engine died. I pulled it off the highway and it wouldn't start for 20 minutes. It finally turned over and I slowly drove home and reinstalled an older tune cause surging is better then being stranded and blowing my engine...

I emailed RIPP today and just got an "okay stand by for an update" from their tuning guys. Needless to say this is getting a little out of hand. If RIPP wants to chime in and offer some advice or anything, I'd really appreciate it.
Hi guys -

Please report back to us regarding the new tunes sent:

CBASS
JKPROFF
Tyler2786

RIPPTECH
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

RIPP,

I appreciate the quick turn around on the tune, but it's still pretty bad. At 4700 rpm, it started to sputter up until it shifted at 5500. Once I hit 55 mph, i let off and cruised and it kept hesitating/missing the entire time i had cruise control set... The missing is also noticeable anywhere above 30 mph. These symptoms feel worse then the past ones, too.

To answer a few other questions, all these are at between 3/4 and full throttle as I'm afraid to put it to the floor with my past incident. Also, my last post was a little off, just drop all those rpm numbers by a thousand.

So, RIPP, what's the next plan?

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues