Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
It is a solid engine light. I'm not sure what they call the tune that comes on the tuner supplied with the SC kit. I'm calling it the stock SC/Header tune. The engine light goes away on that tune. It is not numbered like the tune which was emailed me.

I am asuming the stock tune is 2.3. that is the one that came with mine last june.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
Pull that spark plug and inspect it. Check the color of it. Check the insulator for what feels or looks like a crack. That is a carbon track. It happens a lot on forced induction applications with mediocre ignitions. RIPP has you close the plug gap to compensate for the additional pressure. I opted for a hotter coil. Problems solved and I can run a .050 gap with no issues.
What coil and spark plugs are you running? And could that hotter coil help with the rough starts. Regardless of the tune I have on this thing it starts like crap.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Just ordered my Ripp SC today. I have been reading this thread since it started and I have been somewhat hesitant to make my purchase in fear of being one of the unlucky people to have issues with this system.

Regardless of the tune I have on this thing it starts like crap.
What are the symptoms . . . multiple cranks, rough idle, misfires?

P.S. - sorry about your bad luck. Stick with it . . . I've battled with mine for over eight months - progress has been made although not in giant leaps, but even "baby steps" are better than none at all.

Edit: Rats, I just noticed you own an '07 like me - seems like that year has a disproportionate amount of bad luck with the RIPP system, but that's only anecdotal and may not even be statistically relevant (however, I know several owners of '07s that would zealously debate that with me).

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-15-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
What are the symptoms . . . multiple cranks, rough idle, misfires?

P.S. - sorry about your bad luck. Stick with it . . . I've battled with mine for over eight months - progress has been made although not in giant leaps, but even "baby steps" are better than none at all.

Edit: Rats, I just noticed you own an '07 like me - seems like that year has a disproportionate amount of bad luck with the RIPP system, but that's only anecdotal and may not even be statistically relevant (however, I know several owners of '07s that would zealously debate that with me).
The initial crank. Seems like it is struggling to fire and then it finally catches and the rpms go to high idle as per the norm on a cold start.

There was one instance where it did not start. It attempted to start as I mentioned above but died. I tried to start it again and several tries later I gave up and went into the house. Went back out 20 minutes later and still would not start. Finally on the six or seventh try she struggled to start. That has only happened one time.

I took Bubba's advice today and pulled the #1 plug to look for any signs of carbon tracking. Plug looked fine. I checked the gap on the plug while I had it out and it may have been gapped at .035 to closed that back up to .032

Checked my intake for any loose bolts. They were good.

My header bolt dirrectly below the #1 cylinder was a little loose so maybe that is causing me some issues. Tightened it up and cleared the code again. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Once I get past the rough start she runs good. Good hard excelleration. So other than a few small issues I'm really loving the power.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

so alittle off topic but still about SC, does anyone know what the part number is for the pvc valve, it is time to change the stock one and thinking i should change the RIPP one as well
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

I checked the plugs as you suggested. They look ok for now. I know I'm running to rich. I have tons of dark black carbon at the exhaust pipe so maybe that has something to do with my issues.

Ripp sent me a modified 3.3-2 tune. It helped enough to where she starts everytime but still struggles.

The only other issue I have is what I will call a soft spot around 1300-1400rpms. When I am cruizing down the road at lets say 40mph and i let off the throttle to coast the rpms drop to around 1300-1400 area. When I go to get back on the pedal for a slight increase in speed I feel that lag in reaction.

Other than those two things she is running great.

And by the way I have a 2007. Not trying to imply anything but seems like most of the guys I talk to that have minor issues are driving 07s. I think I have heard someone else imply that.

Hey Bubba - By the way, I was born and raised in Everett, Wa. Got in the Army, Retired after 21yrs, and moved the wifes home town. I miss the Northwest.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 01-28-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
You know, with all the TSB that relfashed 07 ECUs, I am pretty sure by 08 the software loaded onto the PCM probably contained every flash needed and it makes me wonder if some owners of 07 are missing some piece of programming that is causing issues.
That's a very interesting thought. Isn't there someplace on the Jeep website one can go to determine if that might be the case?

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues