Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say i have been running my SC for a few months now and love it. I had some minor problems untill i put the 3.2 tune in. yes the you get some hesitation on cruize control but i dont use it to much. The only thing I have a problem with is I have to let the jeep warm up for a few minutes before i drive away when it is cold, I am talking -20C (about -3F). If i dont it hasitates alot if i step on it.

The last problem if you call it one is one roads covered in ice I have to start out in 2nd gear even 3rd and very carefully give it gas or i spin my wheels for a very long time HEHE
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
My 6spd is experiencing some mild hesitation - almost like a momentary drop out during moderate acceleration (these are in the tenths of a second kind of sensation - very brief). Also something is askew when I first start the Jeep in the morning until engine warms up, and apparently unlike others, I lost fuel economy. Good news is RIPP has addressed the 3-crank start issue for many of us, as well as lessened the severity of surging while in cruise control.

As it stands at the moment, yes I have more power, but I also have quirks that were not present prior to the supercharger install. RIPP is working with me, but I have had my problems since April of this year. I have heard everything from I'm using contaminated fuel, to my manifolds must be cracked, to damaged spark plug wires. Also have been told several times since April that my vehicle is the only one in the world with these issues - very depressing (With those odds I should probably go buy a lotto ticket).

RIPP has not abandoned me though, and is continuing to seek a solution that will sort this all out (we're actually in the middle of some "tweaks" at the moment). Hopefully I'll have good news to report in the near future.
Well, we definitely know you are not the only one. I was the only one too! So were 3 others that I know. Seems like most of these issues are with 07 and early 08s. I've wasted over $1500 in unnecessary parts and customized tuning to try to resolve my issues. Don't get me started the countless hours of back and forth with RIPP, trying new parts because RIPP told me I was the only one and it was my vehicle, or my ruined Moab ($3K waste) trip last year....I've sort of given up on this and just living with the bad drivability...It's better than it was. Now, I am following the threads, staying in contact with those I know, and playing the waiting game to see where all you get with it. I spent way too much time going back and forth with RIPP. Although they are very nice and seem to be trying very hard, it still isn't driving right. In my case, "should of had a V8". Definitely not driving the jeep as much as I used to these days because of it.

However, I think it is a great product, if it works on your vehicle. Crossing my fingers for a resolution for those of us who need it badly. Wow, we have been patient.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think once i get my SC ill be alright as far as weather goes cuz im in TX and it never gets blistering cold. it might sleet and ice a bit but never reach 10 degrees ferinheight
ROFL for you spinning the tires, i know id be doing the same thing half on purpose half not lol

Originally Posted by hiddenprey
I can say i have been running my SC for a few months now and love it. I had some minor problems untill i put the 3.2 tune in. yes the you get some hesitation on cruize control but i dont use it to much. The only thing I have a problem with is I have to let the jeep warm up for a few minutes before i drive away when it is cold, I am talking -20C (about -3F). If i dont it hasitates alot if i step on it.

The last problem if you call it one is one roads covered in ice I have to start out in 2nd gear even 3rd and very carefully give it gas or i spin my wheels for a very long time HEHE
Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Purchase question for RIPP

I was reading earlier in this thread that there will be a lag in cruise controll despite all tune corrections. I am seriously considering the purchase of this RIPP system, but I have to say that I am really looking to see if there is an outside of the box solution for the cruise idle condition. I might be looking for something that is not possible but I am thinking of a system that performs under load as well as at idle (in cruise). I would like to think of this as one of those cases where brainstorming and ideas ultimately lead to a resolution for the Mopar build gaps and upgrade RIPP integration to act as stock during cruise but has the expected power when needed resulting from upgrade.

Make sense?

RIPP - again great support!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Uh NOPE.

As far as I can tell the problem with the cruise control issue including mine has been pretty much fixed. There was the surging problem with the ELT searching while under light to medium throttle. I'm not sure what you mean about idle. The Super charger is not putting out and PSI at idle nor is anything on the market. This has a linear power band that is very useful for the jeeps. You don't get that big rush that you would get out of the roots style blowers. You also don't get that over the top feeling that feels like it spun out of control and you have too much power when you've already let off the pedal.

I like the feel of this super charger. The guys at Ripp Mods are constantly striving to achieve perfection. I like that they don't stop. The power is addicting and it makes the jeep fun to drive.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
I am almost done rebuilding my tranny. I lost the entire overdrive clutch pack. This is what your JK engages when it is in 3rd or 4th gear.

Every other clutch pack in the tranny looked like new. No leaks in the tranny that I can find yet.

Very interseting

So once I get this thing in later this week, I will figure out if the latest 3.2 tune is going to do as advertised for me.
Very interesting that only the 3-4 clutch pack was damaged. I know that sees a lot of use when passing and in the hills, and I know that you don't use OD when driving around town. The lower gears get used heavily around town, pulling hard off stops and all. You have an early JK. I wonder if the newer models have as many issues? Maybe they revised the tranny or programming at some point?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm surprised that this clutch is in so many other applications that there isn't a aftermarket tranny like sun coast or something!!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti

Because the tranny is controlled by software that cannot easliy be removed from the ECU. I can bolt up a 545RFE to it with an adapter but them what the hell is going to run the valve body? The trans control in the TCM is not something that could easily be re written to accommodate another transmission. If anything the best bet would be to install the ECU from a standard and run a manual valve body transmission. Its all doable. All it takes is $$$
I had a super duty 6.0 with that crappy electronic servos that failed all the time when I ran large amounts of power to it. After the 4 th transmission I got a built sun coast transmission, same tranny but rebuilt with better parts.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont mean to butt in but are we talking about the auto transimssion of the JK or the 6sp?

Originally Posted by snopro269
I had a super duty 6.0 with that crappy electronic servos that failed all the time when I ran large amounts of power to it. After the 4 th transmission I got a built sun coast transmission, same tranny but rebuilt with better parts.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

AUTO, manual tranny's dont have servos in them

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues