Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP Gen II Issues

Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIPP Gen II Issues

So I've had my GEN II supercharger w/ intercooler on for a little over 1000 miles. The extra power is a blast and I can't wait to throw on a lift and tires in a few months, but I keep having some issues and was hoping someone could chime in with some help or suggestions.

The biggest issue is the ongoing hesitation that I can feel and hear when cruising at a constant speed, most noticeable around 45-50. It just feels likes it's missing or surging all the time.

The second problem is when flooring it from a stop, it'll go fine through 1st, and then in 2nd, at about 4500 rpm, it cuts out for a split second and then picks back up followed by a hard shift to third.

Last is the codes it keeps throwing. I keep getting P0171 and P0174 (about 5 times nwo) that say both banks are running lean. RIPP said this was a "false code" but I'm not sure what this means... it usually pops up after that cut out under acceleration or some other engine problem.

RIPP has sent a second tune to try, but to no avail. Does anyone have a similar set up with issues or have suggestions on what to check?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Daily bump, anyone?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

have you tried contacting their rep on here?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you put the vehicle on a chasis dyno and hooked up a wideband to be absolutely sure that you're not leaning out? The misses could be lack of fuel and the codes could be genuine. I would make sure this isn't the issue because things tend to detonate and go boom when you lean out a bit too much.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been in contact with RIPP via email and they've sent a new tune, but it's still having issues...

And I've thought of the dyno, I just didn't want to spend the money to get something working the way it should out of the box. So what should I be worried about if the engine is running too lean? Is there anything i can do to fix this or is all in the tune? I'm pretty good mechanically, but electronics are Greek to me. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Have you tried replacing the fuel filter? Sounds like your running out of fuel.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
I've been in contact with RIPP via email and they've sent a new tune, but it's still having issues...

And I've thought of the dyno, I just didn't want to spend the money to get something working the way it should out of the box. So what should I be worried about if the engine is running too lean? Is there anything i can do to fix this or is all in the tune? I'm pretty good mechanically, but electronics are Greek to me. Thanks!
I understand not wanting to spend the cash but leaning out can be a serious issue. Too lean and kiss that 3.8 goodbye. I doubt Jeep will be replacing any supercharged engine under warranty. Do you hear any pinging or knocking coming from the motor?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Synthetik
I understand not wanting to spend the cash but leaning out can be a serious issue. Too lean and kiss that 3.8 goodbye. I doubt Jeep will be replacing any supercharged engine under warranty. Do you hear any pinging or knocking coming from the motor?
I wouldn't rely on your ears - you can hook up the Diablosport Predator and do the Realtime Data viewer (under Diagnostics) on the following PIDs:
KNK LT RETARD deg
KNK ST RETARD deg

Apparently, ST (short-term Knock) is normal at certain RPMs, but LT (long-term Knock) is not according to my quick research.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I was read your post I was thinking that it sounds like a lean spot. Then you said you are getting error codes for a lean condition. You need to get it on a dyno, which is a lot better than the seat of your pants. A dyno will show up even a minor weak spot in your power curve. Lean is VERY bad for the pistons, valve and head (the engine).
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
The second problem is when flooring it from a stop, it'll go fine through 1st, and then in 2nd, at about 4500 rpm, it cuts out for a split second and then picks back up followed by a hard shift to third.

Last is the codes it keeps throwing. I keep getting P0171 and P0174 (about 5 times nwo) that say both banks are running lean. RIPP said this was a "false code" but I'm not sure what this means... it usually pops up after that cut out under acceleration or some other engine problem.
If the codes are only popping up under hard acceleration, I would take it easy on the go pedal until you can have it checked out. If a dyno and custom tune is the only way to know for sure, then thats I would do.

As already said, running too lean will melt your engine. While the codes may be false, it would suck to find out the hard way they were not. With no warranty, replacing that motor will make custom tuning seem cheap.

I have no doubt Ripp will keep working with you to help solve the problems. Maybe, however, there is an abnormal fuel flow or other issue with your particular Jeep. That is pretty hard for them to know. The complexity of these new vehicles sometimes make me think about digging my old 4 barrell 302 Ranger out of the barn. At least I understand that thing.

Last edited by Yankee; 05-10-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Quick Reply: RIPP Gen II Issues