Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP G2 - Need interim tune advice!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey BKW, do you have automatic or stick. I couldn't see what you were talking about in your video. It looked like you were just starting and stopping. What tune do you have? You will need to drive it about 100 miles in order for the computer to learn and or the tranny if it's an auto. Did you make adjustments for you tire size? What altitude are you located at? Unfortunately the 2009 TBW is tricky and at times a total PITA. Seems like the Auto tranny makes it more difficult. let us know how it goes.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I've got an auto. The first two cranks died, then the third one slugged it's way to life.

I set my bpv to 1/8" this morning and will go for a drive shortly.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

What version of tune are you using?

I had this issue several months ago, it was fixed by shifting the VE tables which should be done in all the most recent tunes RIPP is sending out. They will definitely get this fixed for you, just contact Ripp. Tune 3.2(6spd) has been excellent as far as the start problem is concerned.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been meaning to post this for a while as I have not seen it on here before.

If you experience any hesitation, while driving I have found this procedure clears that issue.

From Ripp:

The ECU in the JK is adaptive - sometimes when driving it a long time with one tune, it may be better to clear the adaptive's with a professional scanner (SnapOn Motis or similar). The Diablo only clears the codes, it does not clear the adaptive's. A trick to do this is:

Key off
Head lights on
Disconnect battery
Let sit for 2mins
Key off
Connect battery
Key on and wait 30secs-1min
Start and let idle correct itself.
Drive after 1-2 mins idle
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I dont know what version of the tune I'm running. It's the 'custom' one that Ripp created for me based on my stock tune, but based on the file name, I'd guess it's a 3.3.

Anyways, I set my BPV to 1/8" of the screws showing and the power is a tad more linear. It's still a little sluggish ~2k RPM's at 65mph. It feels like the tranny/ecu is trying to figure out which gear it should be in. Which is a lot like it was when I had the stock tune, pre-Superchips. The Superchips totally worked the lull out, which makes me think it's just a matter of fine tuning the program.

I was going to PM you about the VE Tables after reading one of your posts in another thread. If Ripp is the one that does that, then I'll discuss that with them tomorrow. I've got one more concern that's been addressed here on the boards and that's WOT at the top of my RPM band. ~5500RPM's she stumbles for a second. Again, like the tranny is trying to figure out if it needs to shift or not. I've only tried it once since I'm trying to go easy on the kit till she breaks in and the ECU finishes its learning regimine.

Anyways, here's another vid.. She's Alive!! I've removed the silencer hose to make sure the valve opens and closes properly after the adjustment.

http://youtu.be/Vb04n8pfIQU

Last edited by bkw; 12-11-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by seabass
I had this issue several months ago, it was fixed by shifting the VE tables which should be done in all the most recent tunes RIPP is sending out. They will definitely get this fixed for you, just contact Ripp. Tune 3.2 (6spd) has been excellent as far as the start problem is concerned.
The 3-crank start issue? Does your exhaust smell extremely rich when you first crank up the engine in the mornings?

Quick Reply: RIPP G2 - Need interim tune advice!