Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP G2 - Need interim tune advice!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:41 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIPP G2 - Need interim tune advice!

hey All,

I completed my RIPP G2 install on Thursday and have been waiting patiently for RIPP to return my 'tune'. They said I'd get it yesterday or today - however, theyre closed on the weekends and I really need to get the Jeep back on the road.

What tune can I use to drive the Jeep? I believe I have two options, both with concerns.

Option 1 - install the stock belt, keep stock tune. Will the new injectors and plugs be fine with the stock tune?

Option 2 - the predator came with a pre-installed SC tune. Should I use that?

HELP!! I can't miss another day of work, nor can I deal with my wife bitching and moaning another day about this.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Stock tune definitely does not work. She doesn't idle correctly.

Im now installing the default sc tune from the predator. Hope it works!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Installed the SC tune from the Predator (not my custom tune) and she runs! Not well, but she runs. I was able to double check all my connections and everything looks fine. Unfortunately, she stumbles at 2.5k and struggles going up my driveway. Definitely not risking the 90 mile commute to/from work.

Calling out from work today with hopes my tune will arrive sometime today. If not, then I'll be shit out of luck for work tomorrow and Monday.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF RIPP HAS UNPUBLISHED WEEKEND HOURS? If so, I would really love a direct number or a contact so I can get this resolved today.

Last edited by bkw; 12-10-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

There isn't a stock tune for the supercharger on the predator. The only way to drive the vehicle is to get the tune from RIPP. You could put the stock map sensor back in and the stock injectors all with stock belt. I ran into the same situation and ended up having to rent a car until I got the tune.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scottc
There isn't a stock tune for the supercharger on the predator. The only way to drive the vehicle is to get the tune from RIPP. You could put the stock map sensor back in and the stock injectors all with stock belt. I ran into the same situation and ended up having to rent a car until I got the tune.

Guess I'll call Enterprise and have them pick me up.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Default RIPP Tune

Originally Posted by scottc
There isn't a stock tune for the supercharger on the predator. The only way to drive the vehicle is to get the tune from RIPP.
That's my understanding also.

Originally Posted by bkw
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF RIPP HAS UNPUBLISHED WEEKEND HOURS? If so, I would really love a direct number or a contact so I can get this resolved today.
Some folks have mentioned receiving RIPP customer service over the weekends, but not sure if that's common. Private Message the RIPP rep (Ross) here on the forum - they are pretty good about frequenting this and other forums. Hunting around with Google for numbers would be another option. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
bkw
JK Freak

THANK YOU RIPP!! Got my tune this afternoon and I just installed it.

Unfortunately, I'm having some minor issues.

1. When starting the Jeep, it doesnt roar to life like it used to. When I turn the key, it'll stumble at ~200rpm's, then about a second later go to a steady 800rpm and sit there. If I start the motor when cold, it'll take 2-3 tries to get it to turn over. I've got a video and will post it shortly.

2. At 2,000rpm's at part throttle, ie- 25-30mph uphill, the power isnt linear. There's a weak spot at 1.8k-2.2k where it feels like it hesitates. I'll double check the bypass valve and check my hoses for boost leak.

Or are both of these conditions normal?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Did some research on these forums, and I'm very pleased with the amount of info available here.

Both issues have been discussed in length and I believe I need to find a happy medium between my throttle settings and the adjustment of my bpv. I also need to identify any leaks too. During the install I noticed the lower egr gasket looked like it was on its last leg, and that sonofabitch pass rear bolt holding the intake manifold may not be as tight as it should be.

I'll play with some configs tomorrow and if all fails, I know the guys at ripp can help on Monday. For now I'm going to have a very well deserved tall glass of some 16yr Lagavullin.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bkw
Unfortunately, I'm having some minor issues.

1. When starting the Jeep, it doesnt roar to life like it used to. When I turn the key, it'll stumble at ~200rpm's, then about a second later go to a steady 800rpm and sit there. If I start the motor when cold, it'll take 2-3 tries to get it to turn over. I've got a video and will post it shortly.

2. At 2,000rpm's at part throttle, ie- 25-30mph uphill, the power isnt linear. There's a weak spot at 1.8k-2.2k where it feels like it hesitates. I'll double check the bypass valve and check my hoses for boost leak.

Or are both of these conditions normal?
Normal if you're not one of the fortunate ones to experience no problems. The no start was dubbed The Three Crank issue, and was common for the 2.6 tune. It was corrected in later tunes. The hesitation issue is what I've been fighting for seven months now. Start learning how to collect data logs with your Predator - maybe someone will spot something in the data and tweak your tune to eliminate the hesitation.

You might consider posting your issues in the following thread which has sort of become the default place to discuss problems (you'll at least want to read through the thread if you haven't already) ---->> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Gen-II-Issues

Edit: While I was replying, looks like you might have found the stuff I mentioned above.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 12-10-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
bkw
JK Freak

So here's the video. I need to figure out how to adjust my throttle sensitivity settings now...
http://youtu.be/A1adhZXAieM

Quick Reply: RIPP G2 - Need interim tune advice!