Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPP COLD AIR INTAKE & RiverRaider Snorkel

Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid ubuildit

Not tryin to hijack the thread: I saw the mention of a hard pipe.

I don't know if this helps but didn't see it mentioned:

Airaid has a u-build-it (UBI) kit https://www.airaid.com/U-Build-It_intake_systems.aspx and I was watching this thread thinking to use one with a similar setup to this, instead of the flexible hose (I have a 2013) since I already have the u-buildit from a grandcherokee wk project a few years ago along with a few spectre couplers. Based on the path used in the installation diagram for the flexible set I think that the biggest deal is that you have to pull the tube to get to the battery, but it looks like even with a power interrupt it would fit and the terminals access would still be unaffected.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you got any pics of how the flex pipe is ran from the filter to the snorkel? I have the river raider cast aluminum snorkel, the RIPP cold air kit and the 3.6L. And have been thinking about how to run the pipe before I install the snorkel. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shecky
Have you got any pics of how the flex pipe is ran from the filter to the snorkel? I have the river raider cast aluminum snorkel, the RIPP cold air kit and the 3.6L. And have been thinking about how to run the pipe before I install the snorkel. Thanks!
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2876038176.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	592692  
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes that's exactly what I was looking for, does the fuse box get moved over in the river raider instructions or did you do that to suit your needs with the RIPP kit?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes that's exactly what I was looking for, does the fuse box get moved over in the river raider instructions or did you do that to suit your needs with the RIPP kit?

That would be us tailoring the two systems to each other. The instructions on the snorkel actually utilize the factory air box and make many more crazy bends. A simple cut, scoot and re racing of the fuse box allows for a less resistant path.

Honestly I'm surprised nobody makes a snorkel/intake kit that hard pipes and incorporates all the good stuff into one deal.

Maybe I should hop on that... Haha
Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's another angle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4209378804.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	592710  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aldonoward3
Very possible, however it's not the distance from the snorkel to the filter that matters it's the distance to the engine intake. Running the conduit along the engine would either heat up the conduit and possibly melt it.

I'll be replacing the corrugated hose with aluminum conduit soon enough to rid the path of the drag from the ridges in the hose as well as all of the couplings and change in air path size.
Unlike the plastic pipe, Aluminum is a very good heat conductor. It will reach the under hood temperature in no time and effectively warm the air flow inside.
A possible and easy solution is to wrap the Aluminum pipe with a heat insulating layer.
This may also make it more practical to mount the pipe nearer the engine.

----------------

Ooops... now I see that Jeepstin12 said about the same...

Last edited by GJeep; 01-19-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldonoward3
That would be us tailoring the two systems to each other. The instructions on the snorkel actually utilize the factory air box and make many more crazy bends. A simple cut, scoot and re racing of the fuse box allows for a less resistant path. Honestly I'm surprised nobody makes a snorkel/intake kit that hard pipes and incorporates all the good stuff into one deal. Maybe I should hop on that... Haha
Props to you for coming up with this, if you could drop me some info on your cut scoot and re-racing of the fuse box I would greatly appreciate that. I have had my line x'd cast aluminum snorkel waiting in my storage for a few months now neglecting the install because I didn't want to take off my RIPP filter.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Shoot me a message and give me your number. Ill text you the build Vic's with step by step.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like a well done project. I'd like to see your millage after a few tanks.

Quick Reply: RIPP COLD AIR INTAKE & RiverRaider Snorkel