Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RIPMODS Header Install???

Old 01-28-2012, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIPMODS Header Install???

I have searched the forums and can't find an install write up for the RIPMODs Long Tube Header. Has anyone run across it anywhere. Im deployed and will be tackling this as soon as i get off the plane. Well maybe not as soon as, but you get the idea.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-29-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chips
I have searched the forums and can't find an install write up for the RIPMODs Long Tube Header. Has anyone run across it anywhere. Im deployed and will be tackling this as soon as i get off the plane. Well maybe not as soon as, but you get the idea.

Thanks for any help
I had help because I have a long arm lift fit and the relocated lower control arm brackets hit the crossover tube but this is the basics. I have never seen a write-up but I'm sure it is out there. I am not saying what I have typed below is the best way but it is what we did.

1. Uninstall your lower cross member
2. Remove heat shields (You will use these with the Ripp Headers but right side will need trimmed)
3. Uninstall your exhaust manifolds(Save existing gaskets and flange bolts for Ripp Headers)
4. Mark your O2's (Right/left side, up/down stream)
5. Install your new headers(Right side is easier with inner fender liner remove)
6. Install cross over
7. Install O2's with harness extension
8. Bolt up cross member
9. Check all bolts for tightness

Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a pretty straight forward install....not difficult at all. I did mine easily in one day. When you get your kit and are ready to do the swap give me a shout, I'll give you some direction if you need it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks all for the heads up. I have done cat backs on a few vehicles in the past. Just never messed with the headers. Cant wait for the pick up in power.

Thanks agian
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chips
Thanks all for the heads up. I have done cat backs on a few vehicles in the past. Just never messed with the headers. Cant wait for the pick up in power.

Thanks agian
I see you have listed a RIpp SC on your wish list. There are a couple good threads on here with helpful hints for the install that you won't get from the video and paper instructions. They helped me out a lot.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

The biggest headache when I was installing mine last weekend was getting the stock y-pipe out and the new y into the slip fit connection to the rest of the exhaust, but that may have just been me overtightening the clamps when I originally installed my cat-back You didn't say whether you would be working on your back in the driveway or have the benefit of a lift, but either way you will need some way to support the trans/transfer case since you will need to remove the trans crossmember to get the y-pipes in and out. On the driver side I unbolted the steering shaft for a bit more room dropping the header in from the top, on the pass side there are two heater hoses and some spark plug wire brackets you need to shift out of your way, but there is lots of room to feed the header in from the bottom. Both of my heat shields required some "massaging" with a hammer to fit over the headers and line up w/ the bolt holes, but they will fit with some persistance. Label your plug wires as you remove them, I mixxed two up on one side, caused a check engine light I had to clear. If I remember correctly the the crossmember and transfer case skid bolts are all 16 and 18mm (the trans mounts require 16 deep socket), the factory manifolds to y-pipe are either 14 or 15mm, the bolts holding the manifolds to the head are 10mm.

Feel free to PM if you run in to any problems

Last edited by RatMotor; 01-31-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default On my back

In the Garage. i will be doing the SC and Header in one shot. This was exactly what i needed. I have a 3.5 in lift so there should be enough room to get underneath it. Plan on removing tires and out on jack stands for SC so i can work in the engine compartment. Just anxious now. Been deployed for 7 months, excited...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice, good luck with the install and thanks for your service! Take pics!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

I will probably try my luck at a write up when i finally get out of here, (Kuwait) 35 days and a wakeup
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Just remembered - the O2 sensors are 24mm.

Really jealous of your SC, it's going to be a whole different truck when you're done.

Quick Reply: RIPMODS Header Install???