Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rim Offset

Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Offset

I have noticed a lot of threads based around what back spacing you need when upgrading new wheels. But what I haven't really noticed is an explanation of wheel offset. I have a 2011 70th anniversary sahara 2dr with the 18" rims and would love to upgrade ... but I just can't wrap my mind around everything needed to know ....lol The existing rim is stamped with 44.45 offset I guess that is +20? ... what I would like to know is can I go to a 0mm offset or what would I need to go to that. I found a nice set of procomp 7005 series wheels that would look sweet but pro comp says all there wheels are designed primarily for lifted applications. I dunno I notice that a lot of wheel/tire sites have mainly products based around a 0 offset or negative offset, even sites that are based around Jeep products.

totally confused!! I apologize because Im sure that this is such an over asked question, but I just don't want to screw it up the first time!!! .

Thx

First time owner...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To me, backspacing is just so much easier to understand and visualize than offset. It's just two different ways of measuring the same thing. In my opinion, on the JK's a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing is perfect.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went looking for the same thing about six months ago and found this web site, it helps understand all about the rim and all the components that go with it. Also use the forum advanced search it can help narrow your results to find what your looking for.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wandell
To me, backspacing is just so much easier to understand and visualize than offset. It's just two different ways of measuring the same thing. In my opinion, on the JK's a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing is perfect.

so I plan on putting max 33" tires on series 7005 procomp wheels 17 x 9 with 4.75" bs and 0mm offset or 17 x 8 with 4.5 bs and 0mm of offset. will that work even though what is on my jeep is the 18" polished aluminum wheels that say they have 44.45mm offset and stock 6.25 bs?

I just really want to get this right the first time.. believe me when I say that I have never put aftermarket wheels or tires on any vehicle in my life, so you could understand my worry when it comes to this.

Some people have told me you have to lift to put bigger tires, you have to use wheel spacers blah blah blah.. My mind is just running in circles right now!! I dont plan on doing any rock crawling or super extreme offroading, just the minor mud hole here and there.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both of those wheels will work with 33's. The 8 inch wide wheel will just tuck in a little farther. Here's a pic for reference. My JK has 17x9 inch wheels with 4.5 inches of BS. So, the 9 inch wide Pro Comps with 4.75 inches of BS would tuck in 1/4 inches more than mine. An 8 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS would tuck in an inch farther than mine.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me about it, Offset is even more a pain in the ass when you live somewhere where the cops will ticket you if your tires stick out.

I am trying to run 35/12.5/16 and find aftermarket rim with 4.5inch of backspacing or less, i have settled on a couple pro comp rims. But still looks like I have to add Xenon 1.5inch wider flares to get proper coverage.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Wandell;2571746]Both of those wheels will work with 33's. The 8 inch wide wheel will just tuck in a little farther. Here's a pic for reference. My JK has 17x9 inch wheels with 4.5 inches of BS. So, the 9 inch wide Pro Comps with 4.75 inches of BS would tuck in 1/4 inches more than mine. An 8 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of BS would tuck in an inch farther than mine.

Thank you so much!!! ... you have given me the most solid answer of all the people I have asked!!! .. The pictures really give me a good idea, and now I totally know what I want and can use!!! ..

BTW what tires are you running there? they look sweet!!!

Quick Reply: Rim Offset