Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rigid LEDs

Old 05-25-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigid LEDs

I was looking into getting a Smittybilt bumper for the front of my Jeep and just wiring some Small Rigid LEDs and mounting them on the bumper. Does anybody know which could be used as fog lights? I'm sure the driving lights you can't, but I'm not sure about what diffusion lights are. I've only run standard AUX lighting in the past and you couldn't run them on the road.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the diffusion or the flood lights. Flood lights for sure.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
You can use the diffusion or the flood lights. Flood lights for sure.
Thank you.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on where in the country you live. Here in Texas, there are no regulations on auxiliary lighting other than the hotspot can not project beyond 75'. Your state/local laws may be different.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tell me about it, they have blue lights here...really odd when you're used to a lot of restrictions...
Old 05-25-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flomingo
Depends on where in the country you live. Here in Texas, there are no regulations on auxiliary lighting other than the hotspot can not project beyond 75'. Your state/local laws may be different.
Restrictions are one thing, but if your lights are blinding other drivers, it creates a real problem and frankly, a risk to yourself.

I wouldn't use any of the Rigids for onroad use. No of them are speced for that. Now, for off road use, they're great!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Restrictions are one thing, but if your lights are blinding other drivers, it creates a real problem and frankly, a risk to yourself. I wouldn't use any of the Rigids for onroad use. No of them are speced for that. Now, for off road use, they're great!
Depends on how you aim them. If you just throw them on and don't properly aim them then yes your going to more and likely blind people. Aim them properly and they are not an issue. A lot of people run the rigid flood in the stock fog light position or the fog light cutouts in aftermarket bumpers.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Depends on how you aim them. If you just throw them on and don't properly aim them then yes your going to more and likely blind people. Aim them properly and they are not an issue. A lot of people run the rigid flood in the stock fog light position or the fog light cutouts in aftermarket bumpers.
Even a rigid d1 fog in the factory fog holes was way to bright, no matter where I aimed them..

I sent them back to rigid and they changed the pattern to spot and I've found even that to be too bright for the street

Matthew
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Even a rigid d1 fog in the factory fog holes was way to bright, no matter where I aimed them.. I sent them back to rigid and they changed the pattern to spot and I've found even that to be too bright for the street Matthew
Really. Was it blinding people?
Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have d2 amber floods in my bumper. Bright as hell. I've gotten flashed a few times but I've been blinded by others set ups also. I think d1's would be suitable.... The d2s are a little overkill especially in white

Quick Reply: Rigid LEDs