Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

the right gear ratio

Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the right gear ratio

I have 07 jk with 3.21 and 33" tires that = no power. I will never go smaller than 33s but may go 35s some day. since the 3.21s were to high to me even with factory 255s what gear ratio would be best. I don't need i high 6th gear I want 6th to be about like a normal 5th gear . your opinions and tips are apreciated.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mudshuvel
I have 07 jk with 3.21 and 33" tires that = no power. I will never go smaller than 33s but may go 35s some day. since the 3.21s were to high to me even with factory 255s what gear ratio would be best. I don't need i high 6th gear I want 6th to be about like a normal 5th gear . your opinions and tips are apreciated.
Since you may go to 35's someday, 4.88's would be what I would get. I have them with 35's and work super.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yup

I am in the same boat. I just think that 3.21 are not suited for size tire with the minivan motor. I am going 285/75r16's and currently have 265/75r16s on now on my 07 unlimited 6 speed. I have been debating gear size forever and have finally decided on 4.56's in fact everyones best friend and mine David at Northridge4x4 has worked with myself and Superior Gears to get me some 4.56's Which is just awesome David continues to go above the call of duty to make everything just an awesome experience and that is why I will make the 800+ mile trip to have him do my gears. I dont think I will go to 35's in the fyuture and want my rig to still be freeway friendly. If I do go 35's I may regret the 4.56's and not the 4.88's but not as much as I hate my 3.21's and 31" actual diameter tires now. Hope this helps as always check out jpops awesome gear chart in the newbie FAQ's and remember that is actual tire diameter and not manufacturers make believe fairy tale numbers.

Quick Reply: the right gear ratio