Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rigging a Jerry Can to the stock rear bumper...

Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to see where this goes. Looking at mounting a Jerry can in the same spot but connected to my Mopar carrier. Want to make it so that it has something like a quick release or just 2 bolts so I can only run it while wheeling.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RispoNY
This is all I got so far, it's strapped using a rubber bungee from the tailgate hinge to the inside of the tire carrier and theres another smaller bungee going from the handle to the inside as well. I know it wouldn't be safe if I filled it with gas, so I'm in the process of fabbing some sort of rear mount attached to the tire carrier's existing bolts. I would love to add a locking feature too. What do you guys think?

The main problem with this solution is that it exposes the can to any idiot who hits you from behind or even if you make a mistake and hit something while going backwards.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all I got so far, it's strapped using a rubber bungee from the tailgate hinge to the inside of the tire carrier and theres another smaller bungee going from the handle to the inside as well. I know it wouldn't be safe if I filled it with gas, so I'm in the process of fabbing some sort of rear mount attached to the tire carrier's existing bolts. I would love to add a locking feature too. What do you guys think?

Friggin' hilarious! Reminds me of my days livin' on the back roads in the hills of Tennessee.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
The main problem with this solution is that it exposes the can to any idiot who hits you from behind or even if you make a mistake and hit something while going backwards.
Agreed. But what's the different with this and any other rear mounted jerry can holder?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

I have to clarify this to everyone. This is not what I am running now. I strapped it to the tire carrier now so that I can fab a mount to go around it. I am placing it there to see how it will look, and to get the measurements. How it is attached now, it does not bump into the rear taillight at all (there are about 2 inches between). I am building a concept out of cardboard, and then will develop it using wood. If it all comes out okay, I'll cut the pieces in steel and weld it all together.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Agreed. But what's the different with this and any other rear mounted jerry can holder?
That's what I thought as well. If getting hit is a concern, just leave it filled for a better peace of mind.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
That's what I thought as well. If getting hit is a concern, just leave it filled for a better peace of mind.
you mean empty? Or leave the Jeep filled?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you seen the or-fab carrier? Whatever hits your Jeep's back will have to bend a lot of steel to damage the cans.

Can a rear-end impact damage them with that carrier. Yes. But it will have to be a lot stronger to reach them. ;-)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

you mean empty? Or leave the Jeep filled?
Leave the Jerry can filled. Gaslosine vapor is more combustable than gasoline itself.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about doing this but didn't have the bungee chord to try it out lol

Quick Reply: Rigging a Jerry Can to the stock rear bumper...