Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ride has suddenly deteriorated????????????

Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would lean toward looking at the shocks. The large tires are going to deflect your springs more than smaller tires due to their weight. Greater spring compression is going to increase the amount of rebound. The OP mentioned it seems to happen when he hits a serious of bumps; this could be due to an amplification effect caused by the frequency of repeated compressions. Simply put, the shocks may be struggling to dampen the springs.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Because the OP stated that the ride was fine for 2k miles after the drop brackets were installed, and then it suddenly deteriorated, something is either loose or failed--assuming the tire psi is the same it was for the prior 2k miles.

It is either failed or worn ball joints, polyurethane RK bushings, unit bearings, etc., or it is loose bolts or ovaled bracket bolt holes for control arms, trackbar, or swaybar links.

If it were shock valving, spring rates, swaybar stiffness, etc., it wouldn't have been fine for 2k miles and then suddenly go bad.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Because the OP stated that the ride was fine for 2k miles after the drop brackets were installed, and then it suddenly deteriorated, something is either loose or failed--assuming the tire psi is the same it was for the prior 2k miles.

It is either failed or worn ball joints, polyurethane RK bushings, unit bearings, etc., or it is loose bolts or ovaled bracket bolt holes for control arms, trackbar, or swaybar links.

If it were shock valving, spring rates, swaybar stiffness, etc., it wouldn't have been fine for 2k miles and then suddenly go bad.
Yes it could be any of those things. It's difficult to try and guess what is actually going on without driving the Jeep. I wouldn't rule out the shocks based on the ride felt fine for 2000 miles. It could be that it took 2000 miles for those heavy wheels and repeated bumps to deteriorate the shocks. I always go back to the last thing I did and look there for the problem before trying to come up with new ideas.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

The key is to systematically check each and every item--even after you've found something wrong.

There is no need to guess.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Well, the shop told me that the drag end links and the outer tie rods are gone (Bushings). I have only put 3k on the Jeep after the lift. They turned the wheel back and forth and you could actually hear a little popping noise. Does anyone know if there are HD aftermarket units? I would hate to go through this every 3k miles. The Ball Joints were fine (I expect to go through those in the next 10k).

I did disconnect the sway bar during normal driving and it actually did help a tiny bit. Now just need to see if I can replace these with some HD units.

Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Synergy makes a good drag link that can be installed in stock position or flipped.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET

Well, the shop told me that the drag end links and the outer tie rods are gone (Bushings). I have only put 3k on the Jeep after the lift. They turned the wheel back and forth and you could actually hear a little popping noise. Does anyone know if there are HD aftermarket units? I would hate to go through this every 3k miles. The Ball Joints were fine (I expect to go through those in the next 10k).

I did disconnect the sway bar during normal driving and it actually did help a tiny bit. Now just need to see if I can replace these with some HD units.

Thanks guys
Popping noises are not good.

With a 5.5" lift and 3" or more front extended bumpstops, you should run a flipped drag link.

Either a RK or Synergy drag link and tie rod combo would work well for you.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if there are HD aftermarket units? I would hate to go through this every 3k miles.
Cheap 1-ton Links
Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Popping noises are not good.

With a 5.5" lift and 3" or more front extended bumpstops, you should run a flipped drag link.

Either a RK or Synergy drag link and tie rod combo would work well for you.
I do have the Drag link flip kit that came with the RK 5.5, they are telling me the bushings are worn out on the end?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

I do have the Drag link flip kit that came with the RK 5.5, they are telling me the bushings are worn out on the end?
Technically, it is called a tie rod end, not a bushing, even though it is on the drag link.

Quick Reply: Ride has suddenly deteriorated????????????