Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Riddler install lube question?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riddler install lube question?

I plan on installing my new Riddler covers and wanted to know If I am supposed to go with the factory fill amounts or if I should fill to the plug in the Riddler cover?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ytee
I plan on installing my new Riddler covers and wanted to know If I am supposed to go with the factory fill amounts or if I should fill to the plug in the Riddler cover?
factory...
Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup! Factory. If you fill to the plug you will blow out all the overfill up your breather tube. Very messy. I have not done this myself but I have seen it.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, hope to get this done today!!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With aftermarket covers, filling exactly to factory specs may or may not be quite enough. Here's a rule somebody taught me a while back. Works every time.

With the truck on level ground, fill until the oil is level with the bottom of the inside of the axle. You can take a zip tie and bend it 90 degrees to use as a dip stick. Stick the zip tie into the fill hole up to the bend in the tie. Take it out and compare the oil level to where the axle lines up with the diff cover.

I modified the procedure just a little. I put in the factory recommended amount and check. If a bit low, I add only enough to make the dip-stick method work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Riddler Rear with fill line.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	16987

Something to keep in mind - if you put in an lift your rear pinion angle may change (depending on lift). You probably won't be able to fit the recommended factory amount in, especially with stock covers, unless you get creative - like jacking the right rear tire up a bunch or parking on a down-slope. You can use the method above to visually see how low the oil will be by comparing the plug hole to the axle.

That's why most after-market covers have a high fill hole.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

X5 according to everybody else, mine has over flowed by others over filling.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

The red line in the picture above is about right. Here is a stock picture for comparison.
Whatever cover or angle you have, the oil level needs to be slightly above the level of the bottom of the axle tubes to permit oil to reach the outer axle bearings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Diff Oil Level.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	16992  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks all I just did not want to mess anything up!!!

Quick Reply: Riddler install lube question?