Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Review: Rancho adjustable shocks & remote control

Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review: Rancho adjustable shocks & remote control

So I recently got the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks and remote control. It basically allows you to set softness of the front shocks and separately the rear shocks from a hand held remote. It replaced my Bilstein 5100 shocks from my Clayton suspension system, which by the way are great shocks.

Parts: Control unit (receiver), air compressor, air hoses to shocks, remote (transmitter).

Verdict: The concept is great and I believe the ride is softer. It is very nice to be able to control softness/stifness from the cab while driving, but of course there are many other elements that contribute to the feel, like springs and solid axles, so don't expect to turn a Jeep into a Sedan... a Jeep is a Jeep, but you don't necessarily need stiff shocks over all terrain, even off road, so it's nice to be able to adjust it. I don't know where in the Rancho spectrum the Bilstein fits and how the Rancho compares in quality. I had issues with the setup and still have an issue. Also there are new volnerabilities and concerns I didn't anticipate.

Issues:
  1. If wired directly to battery then compressor kicks in every 10 to 20 minutes for a few seconds even while Jeep is off (note: there is no air leak in hoses). Concern is, even though it may take a very long time, it could drain the battery if Jeep is left off for long enough. Corrective action: rewire via ignition so system only operates while engine is on.
  2. Now that the system is wired via the ignition the fuse keeps blowing, even multiple times a day causing the shocks to dial into the stiffest setting, probably as a safety measure.

Annoyances:
  1. Air compressor kicks in right when you start the Jeep, immediately, for a couple of seconds off and on, scaring by passers (especially the moms outside the daycare center). Not sure if to be concerned about the timing relative to ignition. I am more aware of who is walking by when I start the Jeep up.
  2. Air compressor kicks in a few times while driving. I can feel it in the pedals and hear it, although the wind noise (note softop, half doors, and roof rack) muffles it out.

Concerns:
  1. Now I have air hoses running down my shocks. How can I be sure they are always long enough for whatever flex I encounter while disconnected. Note, if and when you disconnect a hose from the shock (albeit a nice quick disconnect mechanism) the instructions say to cut the hose shorter before reconnecting. I better buy some extra hose before they stop selling them.
  2. The hose connects to the shock at the bottom rather than the top, sticks out a bit more than I would think necessary, and can only be installed facing the rear (as opposed to facing the front where it could be protected if there was enough clearance). Not so much of an issue up front, but in the rear it is a new and very real volnerability I adopted. Now I will need to spend time and money on a solution to protect it.

Questions:
  1. The shop that installed it says that because the Jeep was on a lift and the axles were at full droop while installing the hoses then they should be long enough. Will I now have enough hose length if I wheel with the front disconnected and have one wheel up high and one down low?
  2. Shop welded red positive wire to a 20amp fuse and stuck in an unused location in the fuse box (the heated seats location). The line has a 15amp fuse in it that keeps blowing. What could be the problem?

The functionality is absolutely great, but I had multiple issues getting the system to work (one still pending) and I adopted new volnerabilities. It may be great for pickup trucks, but for a Jeep it could have some design improvements to fit the function, such as have the shock mount up-side-down to kill two issues at once... hose length not a concern and hose fitting volnerability not a concern. Trying to be a happy customer. Maybe I should have invested in gussets, struss and inner tubes instead.

But I'll tell you one thing, even though I went through two fuses and still need another last night, my ride was the softest in the Pine Barrens last night on those choppy trails.

Will try to post pictures some other time.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these shocks but with the dial nobs. The concept is cool like you said. Be careful with those air lines on the rear shocks they are exposed. My nobs are chewed up from the rocks. None missing yet, just chewed up. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted it in another thread about these. Kilby JK rear lower shock skids. They cover the bottom 4 to 5 inches or so of the shock. Worth it for the rancho shocks you have.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I was looking for something like this, but it doesn't look like it would work. Kilby states "can be used with up to 2.25” diameter shocks" and the RS9000XL 2.75" and has that air host fitment sticking out.

But there are some weld on relocation brackets that raise the shock mount up and give you the extra ground clearance (after cutting), but I don't fully understand the side effects to your existing suspension setup.

Originally Posted by highoctane
I posted it in another thread about these. Kilby JK rear lower shock skids. They cover the bottom 4 to 5 inches or so of the shock. Worth it for the rancho shocks you have.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Any updates on these shocks? How are they holding up? Would you do it again? I see the issues you were having...would you still recommend these shocks over the Bilstein 5100s?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just ordered these. Still haven't come in yet but I'll comment once they are here and installed. Definitely raises some brows though.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed rancho rs9000 shocks today along with sport 4" lift. So far I'm very happy with the ride. Shocks are set on 4 and the ride is real nice softer than stock. I was able to face the rear knobs inward and they clear the axle, I know somebody eposted that they could only face out. I will be installing the myride controller hopefully they can still face in and clear. I'll post a pick soon.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 AM
JK Newbie

Got the myride controller installed and all my fittings face inwards so they're pretty protected. Not a huge difference in settings though. I like it best on 0.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Blew a hole in the tubing for the shock control today, took it on the beach and was doing about 30 mph. I might have had the shocks set on 9 when it happened. Looks like it could've been defect in the tubing, weak spot. Pump stayed on constantly and shook the screws loose on the plastic housing.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rnacho Sport Lift

I just installed the sport lift and RS9000 shocks but no remote. I couldn't be happier with them. The ride is truly better than stock and I recommend them to everyone.

Quick Reply: Review: Rancho adjustable shocks & remote control