Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Are reservoir shocks a waste of money?
Go reservoir they are great when offroading..
38.46%
Save your money gas shocks work better..
61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

reservoir shocks - whats your input?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reservoir shocks - whats your input?

Ive read and heard mixed reviews on using this style of shock for jeeps. Some say they are great for offroading because it keeps the fluid in the shocks cool, some say its a waste of money unless your doing offroad racing..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along with more oil that does help with cooling.
Reservoir shocks also allow a longer shock shaft in the same lenth shock body
This means more wheel travel with the same compress lenth this helps with all kinds off road driving NOT just racing aplications

Just because it has a reservoir on it does not make it a great shock for your rig
there is a lot that goes into shock ,proper valving, shaft diameters,hose diameters and the ability to rebuild or re-valve along with many other thing.

Mel
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion....for what it's worth.....is that reservoir shocks are overkill for all but the most hardcore Jeeps. Buy them if you "just gotta have um", but I think your money will be better spent elsewhere.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

In my opinion they are more of a specialized item that most people just will never realize the full benefit from. In my experience most people don't even need a monotube shock from a performance stand point (other than that most are firmer). Unless you are experiencing shock fade, or you have an extremely flexy suspension there are better and cheaper options out there.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have reservoir shoks yet but my brother does and wow its a diference, when we go to de desert everybody that dosent have them just breakes the normal shoks because they get too hot and @ 1000 miles from home with a broken shok its not funny.....
Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tento0929
i dont have reservoir shoks yet but my brother does and wow its a diference, when we go to de desert everybody that dosent have them just breakes the normal shoks because they get too hot and @ 1000 miles from home with a broken shok its not funny.....
That is really the only place where most people need them is high speed desert running through whoops since they really work the shocks. For most people though when they are off-road they rarely exceed 10-15 mph.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been on a few trails for hours going at a steady speed, after a while (maybe more than four hours) the jeep feels extremely loose, this usually means that your shocks are too hot and not really working that great, for that I'm sure reservoir shocks would be great, very similar to dessert racing.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

imo the reservoir shock is better suited for when the shock is going to get a workout over heavy whoops or bumps,jeeps that do trailriding, rock crawling or mall crawling, really dont get the benefit from having the seperate reservoir compared to the cost of the shocks.i had a set on my 05 tj unlimited and they rode great.if you like the look then get them if you can afford them
Old 07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default -

I think they are great for the right application however, I think alot of people buy them for the looks factor when they really dont need them-

If it were me, I could find plenty of other things to spend the money on!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssbartley1
I think they are great for the right application however, I think alot of people buy them for the looks factor when they really dont need them-

If it were me, I could find plenty of other things to spend the money on!
I change my M-Force FT shocks against the ORE Kings (with reservoir) I can tell you I really feel the improvement. I think it might have the specific valving calibration that ORE set up for these King shocks regarding the JK weight/geometry. These filter the high freq better and still prevent the front to dive when braking.

They also give my set up a better flex and they come with the bar pin eliminator kit the overall manufacture is just a great quality compare to the FT M-Force with uniball style at the axle mounting.

Quick Reply: reservoir shocks - whats your input?