Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

reservoir shocks - defined

Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question reservoir shocks - defined

What are the benefits of a reservoir shocks, and how are the different than a standard shock? Many thanks!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

As far as I know the reservoir increases the shocks oil capacity which in turn keeps operating temps lower to resist shock performance fade. Basically, when shocks get hot they get mushy and don't perform well. From what I've heard reservoir shocks are completely unnecessary for the average jeeper, their more for like desert runners/hi-speed apps. imo I would jes save up for coilovers and get some real performance gains.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reservoir shocks, as Jason has already stated, resist shock fade by increasing the oil capacity. A normal emulsion shock and a reservoir shock differ only by their fluid capacity. He is right to say that you will probably not see performance gains by using reservoir shocks unless you are going over an uneven road at a pretty good speed for a decent period of time (decompressing and compressing the shock enough to heat the oil). I would bet that you do not have to be flying across the desert to make this happen though. Someone with some serious info or real world experience can chime in on that one.

Jason did make an interesting statement about coil overs that I think is misleading though. Don't quote me on this, but to my knowledge coil overs simply put are high capacity nitrogen charged "air shocks" that incorporate a mount for springs. Most coil overs do have reservoirs attached for the same reason that any other shock would... to resist fade by increasing oil volume. The performance gains to be had with coil overs are adjustability and packaging. You can achieve terrific results that are very worth while without dropping 4k on a set of coil overs. A 2.0" diameter coil over and a 2.0" diameter non coil over shock will have the same amount of oil in them! With a set of well engineered coil springs (found in many lift kits) and a set of these non coil over shocks you can cruise around in the desert pretty well considering you spent a 1/4th of the cost or less (not to mention the extra $ spent on the coil over mounts).

So. Yes there are advantages to reservoir shocks. No, high dollar shocks are not worth the money unless you want to utilize them past what most define as ride quality. Yes, coil overs rock, but other options are worth looking into.

Was I answering your question or do I just like to hear myself talk (or see myself write?) . Hopefully useful information to someone in need of a shock talk none the less...

~Casey
Old 09-15-2009, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, this was very helpful!!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Question Follow-up Question on Shocks:

In follow-up, can someone tell me what the difference is between a hydraulic shock and a gas shock? Any opinion which is the best overall? I currently have a 3" BDS lift and hydraulic shocks. The ride seems very hard on the road. I would like to get a stainless system without the sleeves. Most of my time off road involves water, and I feel like all the shock sleeves just hold mud, etc. I think the set-up is fine for now, but feel like there might be a better system out there to consider. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: reservoir shocks - defined