Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rerouting JK Tailpipe

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rerouting JK Tailpipe

Hi all, I did a search but didn't find any information about rerouting my exhaust to get the tailpipe higher and out of the way. I've partially crushed my JK's tailpipe but I was planning on rerouting it at some point anyway. I want the tailpipe to come out of the side of the Jeep behind the rear tire somewhere. A place where it can't get caught as easily when wheeling.

Any examples, hopefully with pictures? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Mbrp exhaust kit mounts it up high and out of the way
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by agang28
Mbrp exhaust kit mounts it up high and out of the way
That looks pretty cool but it relocates the muffler too. I was hoping to get ideas to just reroute the tailpipe. I have a muffler skid plate already so I'd like to just leave the muffler stock. I just want to take it to a shop that can do this sort of thing and give them ideas first, if I could.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Most people either ignore the crushed pipe, (you can tell who uses their jeep and who doesn't....) or the go the route of something like MBRP off-road that moves it out of the way.

Some people just replace the muffler for a better sound, but I don't remember ever seeing pics of the tail pipe coming out somewhere else.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

I've been there when a few Jeeps have backed down an obstacle, caught their tailpipe and folded it in half. That's not a fun trail repair, so I want to get mine out of the way before it gets folded or completely crushed. It's going to happen so I'm trying to be proactive. I don't really care about how it looks and I definitely don't care about how my muffler sounds.

I guess I'll just go to a shop to see if they have any ideas.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OffroadGirl
I've been there when a few Jeeps have backed down an obstacle, caught their tailpipe and folded it in half. That's not a fun trail repair, so I want to get mine out of the way before it gets folded or completely crushed. It's going to happen so I'm trying to be proactive. I don't really care about how it looks and I definitely don't care about how my muffler sounds.

I guess I'll just go to a shop to see if they have any ideas.
If you don't care about how it looks or sounds, then unbolt the whole damn thing. Thats what I did. Its loud, sounds like crap, makes fuel mileage worse and vibrates the whole jeep. AND THATS THE WAY I LIKE IT!!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scotty6336
If you don't care about how it looks or sounds, then unbolt the whole damn thing. Thats what I did. Its loud, sounds like crap, makes fuel mileage worse and vibrates the whole jeep. AND THATS THE WAY I LIKE IT!!

Well that's definitely a solution!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got tired of repairs to my tail pipe so I put on an MBRP offroad system. I was okay with it sounding like a sewing machine before I changed it, and now that I have, I care that the sound is improved. Little better performance, but out of the way now and that is what I care about.

I am leery of redirecting the pipe as I don't want fumes in the cab. Probably needless worry, but there you have it.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

When TJ owners reroute their tailpipes it ends up coming out right behind the tire. It works out well but I'm new to the JK world. I'll post back if the shop has any good ideas.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oops. Meant to say that I don't care if the sound is improved with the new muffler. Changed to get it out of the way

Quick Reply: Rerouting JK Tailpipe