Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Request: Ideas for towing mirrors

Old 04-11-2008, 05:22 PM
nextreme

Default Request: Ideas for towing mirrors

During last summer, every time I had to tow my camper I dreaded having to travel on any busy highways because the driver and passenger mirrors hardly stick out at all.

I was contemplating those add-on mirrors you can get the strap to the existing ones with velcro but I haven't yet because they are expensive and I don't think they will fit the Jeep stock mirrors.

I was thinking of finding a way to take apart the stock mirrors and put an aluminum/steel extension arm in between the mirror and the mounting bracket. Maybe make some kind of scissor arm to allow you to have the mirror extended or back to stock position.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone already have a fix for this?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone has anything marketed for us and towing. Looks like you get to write up the fix.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
I don't think anyone has anything marketed for us and towing. Looks like you get to write up the fix.
Yep.

If you can weld, or know someone that does, I would mount the mirrors on the windshield bracket, and make them stick out about a foot.

Or find some of those trucker mirrors, and bolt it to your fender
Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I take my doors off I have some mirrors I put on that are basically on a piece of 1/8"x 3/4" (?) steel that is 8" long that has a 1" bend in the end with a hole drilled in it. I have a cheap Pep Boys convex mirror attached to the other end. When the doors come off I simply remove one of the torx screws from the windshield and mount the mirror to it. I was thinking of taking those same mirrors and drilling a hole in the outside of the OEM mirrors and bolting them on. This would then give me about an 8" reach over stock. I haven't done it yet as I just thought of this yesterday as I was driving home with my snowmobile trailer and the strap on extender mirrors only go out about 4-6 inches so I couldn't see.

Just an idea.

Medsker

Quick Reply: Request: Ideas for towing mirrors