Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacing Tailgate keyhole with Backup Camera

Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Tailgate keyhole with Backup Camera

I've been looking into getting the NavTV lockpick as well as a backup camera for the last few days here and have been debating what would be the best spot to install the rear camera. Just thought of the idea to pop out the rear keyhole and install the camera, it looks like they are both the same dimensions. Has anyone done this before? I would imagine that I would continue to have the same tail gate locking functionality with the camera in the slot since the locks are power. My only concern is that the camera won't fit correctly or that the vision in one side would be blocked by my spare tire. Before I get roasted on here about why I would want to do this in a wrangler, keep in mind this is a mall crawled, ha.

Thoughts?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just mounted mine on the bottom of the bumper next to the receiver hitch. I never thought about the keyhole...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Yea the entire time I've though the only spot would be the bumper. Do you have one of the cameras NavTv sells? Does it look like it would fit in the keyhole?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I got the camera from NavTech, it looks like it would easily fit in the hole if you fabbed up a mount of some sort.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

I have mine mounted in the bumper and my 35" spare is very noticable in the top half of the viewing area. I would think by mounting it in the keyhole would severly limit your range of view on the right half of the Jeep. Great idea, but I think you will be disappointed by only seeing the spare tire on the right side. Run the wires to the monitor and have someone hold the camera by the key hole and check out the view before you spend to much time modifying the key hole. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the keyhole camera. Ive used this camera now in 5 different rides. No cutting or shaving, fit like OEM. There is black rings that you unscrew then screw back on to tighten. Makes it so people can pop off and steal. You install from outside in. No mounting due to the rings. Cake install

My exact camera

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n-VTK-350.html
Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
I have the keyhole camera. Ive used this camera now in 5 different rides. No cutting or shaving, fit like OEM. There is black rings that you unscrew then screw back on to tighten. Makes it so people can pop off and steal. You install from outside in. No mounting due to the rings. Cake install

My exact camera

So Hskr4x4, is there a blind spot on the camera caused by the spare tire?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Do you have any pics? I would love to see this.

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4

My exact camera

Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am using an XOvision HTC35 backup camera that I bought from Walmart.com. It's only $24. It works pretty well except when there is no much sun/glare. On bright days when you park on cement it is hard to see. I just drilled a hole in the stock rear bumper to mount it. It has held up well off roading and has been submerged several times.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pezjason
So Hskr4x4, is there a blind spot on the camera caused by the spare tire?
No blind spot with 35s. I will take pics this weekend

Quick Reply: Replacing Tailgate keyhole with Backup Camera