Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which Tire should I choose to replace my stock Goodyears?
BF Goodrich MT T/A KM...not KM2!!
51.52%
Firestone Destination A/T...not M/T!!
6.06%
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695
1.01%
Michelin CrossTerrian SUV
2.02%
Goodyear Wrangler SRA
4.04%
Other...I am open to ALL options and opinions!!
35.35%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Replacing Stock Tires (255/75/R17)

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I'm looking for a replacement tire moving up to a true 35 inch tire max 35in 12.5 width on a 17in wheel. The wheel I already have in mind. I've looked at Goodyear. Toyo, and BGgoodrich any other tire out there that anyone has some mileage on for wear 50K is target.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by omneb86
Hey guys,
My Jeep came equipped with 255/75/R17 Goodyear Wranglers that haven't actually been that bad, but at 49,000 miles they are in dire need of replacement. I don't really have time to do much offroading, but that doesn't mean I am against running a Mud Terrain if the price is right (but what are the odds of that?) I have never had good luck with Goodyears before so I don't really want to go with that option. After some intense searching I have narrowed my choices down, although the odd size of the tire itself is very limiting. The list goes as follows:

**Note: I am in Pharmacy School which means I have all of ZERO dollars, so my parents are paying for my tires for my birthday, thank God! Keep that in mind when commenting please. Also, I don't really want to change sizes unless I upgrade to a larger tire, but I'm sure my dad won't go for that...

1.) BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM (not KM2).
I love the way these look, and since the KM2 is out their are priced very well. I know they are OEM on the 07 and (maybe?) 08 Rubicon's. I have heard a alot of good things about these tires, and I really respect the BF Goodrich brand. My dad doesn't care for the agressive pattern.

2.) Firestone Destination A/T
I have heard a lot of good things about the M/T version of this tire, but haven't been able to locate very much information on the A/T version. I am leery of running firestone due to the whole blowout fiasco a few years ago. Should I be concerned about the reliability of Firestones?

3.) Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695
I know a lot of people run Duelers, but are they good??

4.) Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
MY dad loves these tires on my moms tahoe. Only problem, I dont drive a Tahoe. What do you guys think about these tires?

5.) Goodyear Wrangler SRA
It's still an option, but not a likely one

6.) Other...Suggestions??

**Guys, please don't be overly critical of my choices, and I know that "beggars can't be choosers," But this is my Jeep and my dad ultimately wants me to pick what I want without his influence.

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Where are you in Alabama? I have a full set of Goodyear Wranglers in my utility room taking up space. They have 8000 miles on them . $100 for 4 $125 if you want the spare. If your willing to drive, I ain't messin with shipping.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

I live in Pelham ,AL which is just south of Birmingham. Are you in Alabama?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have th Destination A/T tires and love them (265 x 70 x 17). I had them on my '04 Grand Cherokee and now on my JK.

These tires have been redesigned since the Ford/Firestone issue with the blow outs on the Explorers. I do mostly road driving (80%) and the rest is moderate off road. We get quite a bit of snow (central WI) and they are great...good in rain on ice too.

Overall, they are a cheap tire too - expect 50,000 plus out of them. Black walls don't look to great - I mounted mine white wall out.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260070.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	15499  
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smiley88
I have th Destination A/T tires and love them (265 x 70 x 17). I had them on my '04 Grand Cherokee and now on my JK.

These tires have been redesigned since the Ford/Firestone issue with the blow outs on the Explorers. I do mostly road driving (80%) and the rest is moderate off road. We get quite a bit of snow (central WI) and they are great...good in rain on ice too.

Overall, they are a cheap tire too - expect 50,000 plus out of them. Black walls don't look to great - I mounted mine white wall out.

Good luck!
Thanks Man! I appreciate the input. I was really curious about this tire. The blow out issue was my only really big area of concern. Do they have adequate offroad tracton for moderate offroading?

Last edited by omneb86; 11-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by omneb86
I live in Pelham ,AL which is just south of Birmingham. Are you in Alabama?
I live in Hammond Louisiana, about 50 miles north of New Orleans. It would be a bit of a drive, but gas prices are down.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did quite a bit of wheeling with these on my G.Cherokee and they were awesome. With the JK - I did not do a lot of deep mud/water but they were great out on the lake (1/2 foot of snow, shallow snow, ice...as good as can be expected). They are great on sand too - we do quite a bit of wheeling on the beach and pulling jetskis in and out. In typical WI fields they are great too - I have gotten stuck but M/T's would not have helped......

I have gone through a couple sets of tires - 31" ProComp A/T, 33 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (awesome tire) and now the Destination A/T. I miss the agressive look of the M/T but the ride has improved considerably and they are quite a bit quieter too. I get about 1 MPG more with the A/T.

Hope it helps....
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Just yahoo mapped it , about 51/2 hr drive.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I live in Hammond Louisiana, about 50 miles north of New Orleans. It would be a bit of a drive, but gas prices are down.
WOW, wish I would have know last weekend, Perfect excuse to take a road trip to watch the Bama vs. LSU game, and pick up some tires
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Yeah, Bama kicked ass at that game, we were camping out at Global WildlifeRefuge for their annual bonfire and the game was on by generator power. I'm free this weekend if you wanna do a road trip.I haven't even advertised them ,they've just been sittin, takin up space. Got some X gas-charged shocks I'll throw in too, 8000 miles on those too.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Tires (255/75/R17)