Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which Tire should I choose to replace my stock Goodyears?
BF Goodrich MT T/A KM...not KM2!!
51.52%
Firestone Destination A/T...not M/T!!
6.06%
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695
1.01%
Michelin CrossTerrian SUV
2.02%
Goodyear Wrangler SRA
4.04%
Other...I am open to ALL options and opinions!!
35.35%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Replacing Stock Tires (255/75/R17)

Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Stock Tires (255/75/R17)

Hey guys,
My Jeep came equipped with 255/75/R17 Goodyear Wranglers that haven't actually been that bad, but at 49,000 miles they are in dire need of replacement. I don't really have time to do much offroading, but that doesn't mean I am against running a Mud Terrain if the price is right (but what are the odds of that?) I have never had good luck with Goodyears before so I don't really want to go with that option. After some intense searching I have narrowed my choices down, although the odd size of the tire itself is very limiting. The list goes as follows:

**Note: I am in Pharmacy School which means I have all of ZERO dollars, so my parents are paying for my tires for my birthday, thank God! Keep that in mind when commenting please. Also, I don't really want to change sizes unless I upgrade to a larger tire, but I'm sure my dad won't go for that...

1.) BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM (not KM2).
I love the way these look, and since the KM2 is out their are priced very well. I know they are OEM on the 07 and (maybe?) 08 Rubicon's. I have heard a alot of good things about these tires, and I really respect the BF Goodrich brand. My dad doesn't care for the agressive pattern.

2.) Firestone Destination A/T
I have heard a lot of good things about the M/T version of this tire, but haven't been able to locate very much information on the A/T version. I am leery of running firestone due to the whole blowout fiasco a few years ago. Should I be concerned about the reliability of Firestones?

3.) Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695
I know a lot of people run Duelers, but are they good??

4.) Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
MY dad loves these tires on my moms tahoe. Only problem, I dont drive a Tahoe. What do you guys think about these tires?

5.) Goodyear Wrangler SRA
It's still an option, but not a likely one

6.) Other...Suggestions??

**Guys, please don't be overly critical of my choices, and I know that "beggars can't be choosers," But this is my Jeep and my dad ultimately wants me to pick what I want without his influence.

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omneb86
Hey guys,
My Jeep came equipped with 255/75/R17 Goodyear Wranglers that haven't actually been that bad, but at 49,000 miles they are in dire need of replacement. I don't really have time to do much offroading, but that doesn't mean I am against running a Mud Terrain if the price is right (but what are the odds of that?) I have never had good luck with Goodyears before so I don't really want to go with that option. After some intense searching I have narrowed my choices down, although the odd size of the tire itself is very limiting. The list goes as follows:

**Note: I am in Pharmacy School which means I have all of ZERO dollars, so my parents are paying for my tires for my birthday, thank God! Keep that in mind when commenting please. Also, I don't really want to change sizes unless I upgrade to a larger tire, but I'm sure my dad won't go for that...

1.) BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM (not KM2).
I love the way these look, and since the KM2 is out their are priced very well. I know they are OEM on the 07 and (maybe?) 08 Rubicon's. I have heard a alot of good things about these tires, and I really respect the BF Goodrich brand. My dad doesn't care for the agressive pattern.

2.) Firestone Destination A/T
I have heard a lot of good things about the M/T version of this tire, but haven't been able to locate very much information on the A/T version. I am leery of running firestone due to the whole blowout fiasco a few years ago. Should I be concerned about the reliability of Firestones?

3.) Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695
I know a lot of people run Duelers, but are they good??

4.) Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
MY dad loves these tires on my moms tahoe. Only problem, I dont drive a Tahoe. What do you guys think about these tires?

5.) Goodyear Wrangler SRA
It's still an option, but not a likely one

6.) Other...Suggestions??

**Guys, please don't be overly critical of my choices, and I know that "beggars can't be choosers," But this is my Jeep and my dad ultimately wants me to pick what I want without his influence.

Thanks in advance!
Ben
I have the BFG MT in 255/75/17 and love them. Best of all, Tire Rack has them for less than $100.00 a tire. Can't beat that price. They're good on the highway and excellent on the trail.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

For your use, I would go with the Michelins. If you were going to wheel more, I would say go the BFG's.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies!! Does anyone have anymore suggestions?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at the dunlop Radial Mud Rovers. Pretty good tire at a low price!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I would get the BFG KM's, they are great tires and can be had for less than 100 a piece.
It will be very hard to beat the price and still get a good tire.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also forgot to mention that you could keep your eyes open for a set of used Sahara rims and tires... I bought a set for $350. Can't beat the price, and the tires are OK for commuting.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Rubi tread BFGs from tirerack.com 94 a PIECE!!! great deal! And their on road manners are great and their off road is... well.. they are BFGs!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ProComp A/T can be had for a good price as well..
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for All the input! Do yall think the BFGoodrich Mudterrains are too aggressive for a daily driver that seldom sees mud? I don't want to throw rocks or for them to be tooo loud, but I hae a soft top so noise really isn't an issue since its not that quiet to begin with

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Tires (255/75/R17)