Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

replacing my manual with an auto

Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bearing ate into the primary shaft. So I will need a new primary shaft, all bearings, and new syncros. When I changed my clutch, I was able to move the input shaft from left to right.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JDub23
Interested. Been thinking the same thing lately. When I bought my Jeep I wasn't thinking rock crawling. After getting back from Moab this past week, I've noticed the trip was a little easier on those w/ automatics. I've also had a constant issue w/ mine popping out of 1st gear constantly. Last, but certainly not my fav reason, the wife can't drive a stick, and wants to start wheeling also. (This may get me into an LJ, later down the road though - haha)
Mine constantly pops out of first gear. i have to push it into gear (rock it back and forth) twice to prevent it from popping out.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JDub23
Interested. Been thinking the same thing lately. When I bought my Jeep I wasn't thinking rock crawling. After getting back from Moab this past week, I've noticed the trip was a little easier on those w/ automatics. I've also had a constant issue w/ mine popping out of 1st gear constantly. Last, but certainly not my fav reason, the wife can't drive a stick, and wants to start wheeling also. (This may get me into an LJ, later down the road though - haha)
awwwwww, our little boys growing up. Auto is better than manual in every way except if your racing. I spent years rowing my vehicles around and got sick of it. Its much better. If I had a sports car yes, manual all the way, anything else or daily driver, auto all the way.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kojack
awwwwww, our little boys growing up. Auto is better than manual in every way except if your racing. I spent years rowing my vehicles around and got sick of it. Its much better. If I had a sports car yes, manual all the way, anything else or daily driver, auto all the way.
Agree that a auto is easier, but I have to say it was a tough decision for me. The issue I have is that stick adds more challenge to the trail. I went to hot springs 2 weeks ago and did 4 and 5 trails. I only stalled twice and I take pride in that. I am sure others are better than me, but to me, its part of the challenge. I also like to just be above the stall point as I climb without touching the clutch. This takes practice and adds to the challenge. And finally, the fact that I can be on a steep incline, and not lose an inch when I transition from brake to gas adds to the excitement. Using gears to manage down hill is a plus, although the new auto's let you do that as well.

That said, there are definitely draw backs to a stick. Its really hard to change gears up a steep climb without losing momentum especially when you are only doing 1 to 3 mph. , While I enjoy just being over the power curve and not ride the clutch, you have much more control over approach speed in an auto then you do in a stick.

Quick Reply: replacing my manual with an auto