Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

replacing my manual with an auto

Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my manual with an auto

My manual tranny is toast!. I have an entire engine assembly (only 50 miles on it) sitting in my garage which includes the brain, engine, auto tranny and all electrical components. The only thing I am missing is the shifter and a tranny cooler.

I am debating whether to buy a used manual or throw in the Auto. I really like my manual but it would be a lot cheaper for me just to throw in the auto. Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Has anyone done this swap and am I getting myself into more problems? Is the auto on the 3.8 worth it?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you swap the auto in are you properly geared to run larger tires?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Good question. I have 4.88s and a super charger so I think I should be fine. I know with the manual I have much more flexibility around that. Do you think I will suffer with 4.88s on 38's if I have an auto?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

4.88s and 38s with an auto will suck. I am not too familiar with the superchargers but I would imagine you would want to regear the jeep to run in the engines power band as the super charger and tune are designed around that. Running too low of an RPM might not create the boost needed to feel the effects of the supercharger so you'll still be downshifting all the time to make boost and power. I run 37s with 5.13s and want 5.38s but don't want to deal with the cost of a regear right now. Don't run a supercharger though.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been researching SC on the 3.8 and what gears to run. The sprintex guys have told me to try 4.10 on my 37" before I regear. He said 4.88 at most on 37" with their SC. sent from my work leash
Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

That is good to hear. I have a sprintex SC and I do love it. It is great. So, I should be in good shape on the gear. Does anyone know if the exhaust set up is different and is there other mounting points that I need to be aware of?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

It has been done, but a lot of work. Most would say it's cheaper and easier to sell the JK and buy one with an auto trans. Here is a good thread on the process - it should lead you to all the info you need. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...nual+auto+swap
Old 05-06-2015, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

This is a great link. So I have every thing but the cooler and shifted/counsel. The engine, tranny, pcm, and wiring harness is all assembled and intact. Thanks for the link.

I had a friend pull the entire assembly out of his jk when he did a hemi swap. The PCM/ harness is still connected to the engine/tranny. So I am at a much better starting point.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 05-06-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just out of curiosity, what exactly happened to your manual?
Old 05-08-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested. Been thinking the same thing lately. When I bought my Jeep I wasn't thinking rock crawling. After getting back from Moab this past week, I've noticed the trip was a little easier on those w/ automatics. I've also had a constant issue w/ mine popping out of 1st gear constantly. Last, but certainly not my fav reason, the wife can't drive a stick, and wants to start wheeling also. (This may get me into an LJ, later down the road though - haha)

Quick Reply: replacing my manual with an auto