Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacing driveshaft really necessary

Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I plan on adding a 4" lift in the spring on my '13 rubicon and I'm trying to get my budget set. My question is just like the title states, is replacing the front driveshaft necessary? My uncle recently got a teraflex long arm and a bunch of other items done at Burnsville off road and they stated that you can modify the exhaust and it will be fine. I tend to believe them due to obvious reasons. My uncle drove with his setup from Minneapolis to California did the rubicon and Moab round trip 5300 miles with no issues. Can anyone else chime in for reasons that I would need to replace the front driveshaft or to dispute what BOR claims?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

What year is your uncles? Different angles with the pentastar
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

He has a 2012 rubicon unlimited so basically same setup.

Last edited by WIRubi; 11-26-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Exhaust spacers can do the trick in the short run. The issue is long term. The front tcase output is slightly pointed up so you are in a questionable bind even left stock. Once you lift it then the stress in greater and life will be reduced.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

It's possible to get by with exhaust spacers or the AFE exhaust crossover pipe if you don't take your JK offroad much. However, the steep angle of the stock front drive shaft will eventually cause it to fail, especially if you plan to flex it offroad. The best option is a new aftermarket double cardan front drive shaft that will be smaller in diameter and keep from contacting the stock crossover pipe. The aftermarket drive shafts are able to handle the increased angles and are much more durable.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure they did the crossover pipe. I knew because of the angles and stuff that long term it could fail but I'm surprised they wouldn't suggest to him that it get replaced if it was something that is really necessary. Especially due to the amount of money he spent there and I know he would've replaced it if they told him its something that should be done. I'm not opposed to switching it out but if its something that doesn't need to be I would rather spend the money on other things right now.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't want to take the chance, I spend the $400 and bought a new front driveshaft.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm replacing both of mine. My rear actually was going before my front shaft.. id highly advise it.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Normally you will get a lot of mileage out of your stock driveshafts even with a 3-4in lift. If budget is an issue I would pick up a stock spare for cheap and call it good. I personally put over 25k miles on my stock front driveshaft with 3.5 inches of lift and frequent crawling before decided to go aftermarket.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the exhaust extension. Been good. Been off road, heavy articulation, no problems.

Quick Reply: Replacing driveshaft really necessary