Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

replacing drive shafts?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing drive shafts?

I just installed a 4 inch lift, I've read I should replace my drieveshafts. Do I need to replace the front and rear ? Should I just wait until they go bad or replace them before that happens? Also if anyone could answer my question about steering drift I would appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 4" lift?
A: For a 4" lift, you should have a set of 4" coils, bump stop extensions, longer shocks, extended brake lines, longer sway bar links, adjustable front track bar, adjustable rear track bar, front and rear track bar relocation brackets, dropped pitman arm, adjustable upper and lower control arms front and rear and new double cardin u-joint style drive shafts

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 4" lift?
A: For a 4" lift, you should have a set of 4" coils, bump stop extensions, longer shocks, extended brake lines, longer sway bar links, adjustable front track bar, adjustable rear track bar, front and rear track bar relocation brackets, dropped pitman arm, adjustable upper and lower control arms front and rear and new double cardin u-joint style drive shafts

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
Yeahh....lol it looks like someone knows a lot about what you need to do. You know that feeling when you're talking to a person and that person is explaining something in full detail showing their expertise on a subject and you have no idea what that person just said....yep, that's what's happening to me right noww... I salute you mkjeep haha . I know its nothing special to you and others who know a lot about JKs and vehicles all-around.

Your post kinda seems like it should be posted in a driver's manual or something, maybe you took it out of a manual??
Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3
Yeahh....lol it looks like someone knows a lot about what you need to do. You know that feeling when you're talking to a person and that person is explaining something in full detail showing their expertise on a subject and you have no idea what that person just said....yep, that's what's happening to me right noww... I salute you mkjeep haha . I know its nothing special to you and others who know a lot about JKs and vehicles all-around.

Your post kinda seems like it should be posted in a driver's manual or something, maybe you took it out of a manual??
ever looked at the faq section?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3

No , took it outta the Faq section everyone should read. I just typed my ass off in another thread similar. It was easier on my fingers , that's all.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Ahh, bigblue , you quick tonight.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi

Ahh, bigblue , you quick tonight.
took my smart pills!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
took my smart pills!
I keep running outta those
Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah if you have the 4 door the rear can stay but from personal experience the front will have to be replaced sooner or later. I finally ripped my boot on the front in Moab. I did have dealer replace though, so I'll keep using the stocks for free untill the warranty is out and then buy an aftermarket.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

No , took it outta the Faq section everyone should read. I just typed my ass off in another thread similar. It was easier on my fingers , that's all.
and i thank u for it

Quick Reply: replacing drive shafts?