Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacing drive shaft. Any suggestions or tips?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing drive shaft. Any suggestions or tips?

I am replacing the stock drive shaft with a 1310. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions, insights, tips, or possible problems to share.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I just read thru a thread that said avoid woods at all costs. Also make sure you lube it when you get it and every 3 months :thinking
Read it again. The people blasting his driveshafts were also the ones who couldn't be bothered to maintain them until after there was already an issue. Doesn't matter which shaft or joints you get, if you are too lazy to pump grease into the zerks, it's gonna fail...

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions, insights, tips, or possible problems to share.
There are several good install write-ups to help you out. (there is an index right at the top of the write-ups area).
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whomever you get a driveshaft from, just make sure you keep it greased regularly. If you have a driveline shop local, that would actually be your best bet. Being is that if anything is wrong with it, outta balance or whatnot, you can get it resolved immediately. Whereas if ordered and you have issues, your gonna most likely at least eat shipping charges and also more down time or time without a shaft.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I just read thru a thread that said avoid woods at all costs. Also make sure you lube it when you get it and every 3 months

My dad got tired of the km2's sitting in the driveway so he swapped me them for the claws. The km2s have 1000 miles, my claws were at 30k. I gotta say though- the claws grabbed better on the road and off- even with the mileage.
Yeah, I saw some bad reviews of the TW too. I went with a shop in SC that I read some good things from other JK'ers about. When I called I spoke with someone that seemed to know the JK's pretty well and he asked a lot of questions about my setup. I asked specifically if they used spicer joints and they said yes so I went with them instead of Coast or Reel.
I haven't got the chance to really give mine a test yet because I haven't dealt with the pinch seam yet and I was waiting for the new shaft. I also have to put on some QD's I got and swap the tire carrier with a third brake light setup I got. I have been in some mud and sand and was pleased with the new BFG's. I had the old school KM's on my old F150 and they were good. Did you air down with them yet. I think that will make a difference. Are you gonna make a trip to URE soon? I think I might go soon! I'm itching to try out the new stuff
Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=nthinuf;2521201]Read it again. The people blasting his driveshafts were also the ones who couldn't be bothered to maintain them until after there was already an issue. Doesn't matter which shaft or joints you get, if you are too lazy to pump grease into the zerks, it's gonna fail...

What about the quality of joints TW is using? I saw a lot of complaints about that
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 08JKRHD
What about the quality of joints TW is using? I saw a lot of complaints about that
Open for debate.

I have asked several times what makes one joint better or worse than another. And ya know what? After crucifying me for having the audacity to ask shops and vendors and even the mfg's for info, the only answers that come back seem to be 'because I say so'.
Well, the whole 'made in america' vs 'cheap overseas crap' thing has been brought up quite a bit also, but that has pretty much been disproved with the whole global economy thing going on these days.

So all I can really offer is that I grease my gold seals regularly, and have not had any issues. If and/or when they fail, I will decide whether to use the lifetime warranty or go with something else.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Coast has been good for me. Got their front shaft and going great after 2 seasons. Great service also.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rub61
Coast has been good for me. Got their front shaft and going great after 2 seasons. Great service also.
I heard the Spicer joints on a Coast weren't greasable. Any truth to this?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Coast shaft that I have has the non greasable u-joints.

Quick Reply: Replacing drive shaft. Any suggestions or tips?