Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacing axles on a 2012 JKU Sport Auto w/ 37s

Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing axles on a 2012 JKU Sport Auto w/ 37s

Stopped by my parents house today and found this...

Had I known my father was interested in getting a new Jeep I would have suggested he get something stock and that we build it up ourselves... but he didn't say a word and now that monster appeared out of nowhere. I wasn't able to stay there for long so I know very little about it but will find out more tomorrow. What I do know is that it is a 2012 Sport (or Sport S) w/ 37s, a bolt on lift, and aftermarket front and rear drive shafts. However, the axles are stock. So poor gearing, no locking difs, and weak axles (this is why I wish he had said something to me before buying it or at least mentioned that he was thinking about a new Jeep period).

So the first thing on the list is to get rid of the H2 Recovery Team stickers and slap on some Wrangler decals. Not a fan of the window tint either but I guess that'll have to stay. Next are the axles. I suggested he put a Dana 44 in front and maybe a Dana 60 in the rear with 4.56 or 4.88 gears and locking difs. However, I know very little about replacing axles and this is where we need help. I'll find out a lot more about the jeep tomorrow and update this but the main questions I have right now are:

What brand/make of axles to get?
Gearing (4.56 or 4.88)
Dana 44 or Dana 60 in the rear?
What kind of lockers to get?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Like I said I'll find out a lot more and update this. If there is anything that is especially important in knowing in order to offer good advice please let me know. Here are some more pictures.

Last edited by nodor; 12-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

You did not say how your father intends to use it. Is he going to wheel it? How hard? Or is it purely a grocery getter?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

We go on a trip every summer to Colorado where we do some decently heavy off-roading. Other then that we'll go on a few trips here and there locally. He also raises cattle and runs a ranch in his "free time" so I imagine it will be used quite a bit out there on top of the typical off-road outing. So I would say that it will definitely not be a grocery getter

You may also be wondering why I am on here asking questions and he isn't... I'll just say he is a little behind the times on technology and I have a little more time to research this stuff then he does.

Last edited by nodor; 12-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go with 60's both front and rear they will be way stronger
Arb locker
Look into dynatrac axles they seem to be good axles
Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
JK Newbie

You could do a hybrid 60 upfront it's a PR 44 with 60 outers but the clearance of a 44... Pretty sweet axle I think. Then if you want a pro rock 60 both from dynatrac. Depending on wheeling style and severity a 44 front and rear 44 should work but hey go big or go home is always a theory lol! But either way sweet lookin rig your father has
Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Looks to me that your dad knows what "is going on".
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default jeep

Maybe your dad didn't tell you about it because he doesn't want you to f**k with it ! Leave it alone . I think it's funny that you show up , see the Jeep , and now YOU make plans for his build ! Sounds like the type of wheeling HE does , the existing axles will be just fine for awhile. Even though I have bent my stock front axle , doesn't mean thet are built out of tin like you may have read. Maybe HE would just gusset them with sleeves
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Yep, this is true. You should first talk to your dad to make sure he wants to mod it and how much money he wants to dump into it. Going 60 front and rear is a bit overkill to me. If he's not really into modding it or spending much, then just wheel it, and if anything breaks, then upgrade accordingly.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahreno
Maybe your dad didn't tell you about it because he doesn't want you to f**k with it ! Leave it alone . I think it's funny that you show up , see the Jeep , and now YOU make plans for his build ! Sounds like the type of wheeling HE does , the existing axles will be just fine for awhile. Even though I have bent my stock front axle , doesn't mean thet are built out of tin like you may have read. Maybe HE would just gusset them with sleeves
HE asked ME to do this. HE wants to replace the axles and HE wants to do it right. Wasn't expecting this kind of judgement here. If you don't agree with my willingness to help him with the things he doesn't have time for than you don't have to help us.

I called him immediately after seeing it to see what the deal with this thing was and where it came from. One of the first things he mentioned was the axles and he wanted my input and I intend to give it.

Last edited by nodor; 12-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Fig
JK Newbie

Great question I have a 2012 sport S right now its getting a 4.5 lift and 37s I also am thinking about the axels and gearing. So I will be following this thread. Any input would be great.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Replacing axles on a 2012 JKU Sport Auto w/ 37s