Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacement Tire Iron?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Tire Iron?

I recently installed black lug nuts on my new tires along with black locking lug nuts. They fit the threads but after I ordered them I realized the nuts are BIGGER than the factory ones. The new ones are 13/16". Since I couldn't use the original tire iron to remove them, I was forced to buy a four-way to put them on and off.

The four-way takes up a lot of room and there's not a good place to put it, just in the back on the floor somewhere. What I want to do is replace my original tire iron with one that will fit 13/16" lug nuts. But before I do that, the original tire iron has a hole in the middle of it so you can use the jack to raise/lower the Jeep.

Anyone else have this problem? What I'm looking for is a tire iron I can buy online that will fit 13/16" lug nuts AND have a hole in the middle of it so I can still use the jack properly. I want the best of both worlds.

Anyone know where I can get one of these?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The older Fords had 13/16ths lug nuts......
Old 08-20-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enquiring minds want to know?

Originally Posted by djdingo
I recently installed black lug nuts on my new tires along with black locking lug nuts. They fit the threads but after I ordered them I realized the nuts are BIGGER than the factory ones. The new ones are 13/16". Since I couldn't use the original tire iron to remove them, I was forced to buy a four-way to put them on and off.

The four-way takes up a lot of room and there's not a good place to put it, just in the back on the floor somewhere. What I want to do is replace my original tire iron with one that will fit 13/16" lug nuts. But before I do that, the original tire iron has a hole in the middle of it so you can use the jack to raise/lower the Jeep.

Anyone else have this problem? What I'm looking for is a tire iron I can buy online that will fit 13/16" lug nuts AND have a hole in the middle of it so I can still use the jack properly. I want the best of both worlds.

Anyone know where I can get one of these?
You brought up a very good question. I too have always detested the lug wrenches that come with a vehicle and have always carried a four-way. Just several weeks ago I was trying to find the perfect place for my four-way and never did. I have been toying with the idea of getting a heavy duty socket and breaker bar that might be easieir to stow.
Hopefully someone will chime in with the solution to our quandary.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default Folding 4-way

This is what I use...fits in rear compartment with ease especially if you don't use the stock jack.

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-lw1.html
Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

i carry one of these to have for my trailer, and since it folds it doesn't take up much space, a 4 way folding lug wrench

I believe i got it at an Atwoods store, but i'm sure lots of places have them.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2012_404233376
Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

I use a breaker bar.....

how about this and in the size you want

http://www.quadratec.com/products/98002_0X_PG.htm

or

http://www.quadratec.com/products/98002_09.htm
Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Default Thank You

Thank all of you who responded. It is good to see we have several options.
Thanks again and to all a good night.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.quadratec.com/products/98002_0X_PG.htm

This looks good, I think I'll end up buying this from Quadratec. After some looking around, I can't find one that is the right size AND had the hole in it like the original one does. But with the one linked above, I should be able to fit both the lug wrenches in the back secret compartment.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I bought that at Wal-Mart for under $10. Works great and fits in the rear storage compartment.

BTW: I had Gorilla lugs installed with my new wheels and ran into the same problem. All of my tools wouldn't fit--sockets, impact sockets, four-way, etc. And, the seller didn't replace the lugs/lock on the spare, so I had to have two different sizes of tools. When one of the Gorilla lugs stripped (they're a lot softer than I would have thought), I gave them all to my church thrift shop and went back to stock and Mopar wheel locks. Good riddance, and now all of my tools work again and I need only one wheel lock. But, the PowerBar is a great tool to remove those lugs, and I replaced the four-way) (same problem--no good place to store).
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use a 1/2" drive Craftsman breaker bar and a 3/4 deep socket with a short ext.

Quick Reply: Replacement Tire Iron?