Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacement steering stabilizer

Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If going by your profile you have a 3in Zone lift, you prolly have cam bolts for castor and no front relocaton bracket for the tracbar( I know it has a rear one) You should get a frt adj tracbar, frt lower adj arms, and have them weld washers to the trackbar brackets that are F'd up from the cambolts. Do this rather than waste your money on dual stabilizers that you don't need. Your jk will drive MUCH better.
mkjeep, Thanks for your reply..I did not use the cam bolts to correct the castor,it wasn't needed..What will an adjustable trackbar and adjustable front lower controll arms correct? Not to get away from the original post but I'm thinking about changing out to a Teraflex 4" lift with full 8 flex arms..Teraflex kits appears to be a much more complete kit..
Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
yeah both the single Bilstein and Fox and other gas filled dampeners pull to one side when used alone. As a dual, very even/smooth. Fox is releasing a new single ss early 2013 that's suppose to get rid of that pull, and eliminate the need of two for one , it looks real sweet.
I can't find any info on that new Fox. Do you happen to have a link?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fan45acp

mkjeep, Thanks for your reply..I did not use the cam bolts to correct the castor,it wasn't needed..What will an adjustable trackbar and adjustable front lower controll arms correct? Not to get away from the original post but I'm thinking about changing out to a Teraflex 4" lift with full 8 flex arms..Teraflex kits appears to be a much more complete kit..
Does your front end feel kinda floaty after the lift?

I did a 2.5 teraflex coil lift with 1/2 inch spacers front and 1 inch spacers rear. With that mild of a lift, you still need to adjust your front caster via either adjustable upper or lower control arms. Most use adjustable front lowers and adjustable rear uppers. I went with the teraflex arms. The fronts only needed to be extended 3/8, but the rear uppers needed to be extended a good bit to bring the rear pinion into the proper alignment with the drive shaft.

I also went with the Evo drag link flip kit.

Very stable and drives well.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default stick with Bilstien,

I'm looking for a new steering stabilizer. I'm running a 3" lift with 35" KM2's and Fuel 17-9 wheels @ 96 lbs ea. I just installed Bilstien 5160 shocks and would like to replace the steering stabilizer.What are you all using with great results? Thanks for your help and time..
Honestly, I just added one and it made a world of difference. My jeep feels like my luxury car when steering. I wish they had a boot, and I wish I could afford the dual Bilstien shocks. Im looking at the 5100 4in and above shocks. Problem is im only 3.5 inch from what I have learned. Once the right springs go back in i should be ok? maybe you can help me with this one? go with the taller shock?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scicero1
Honestly, I just added one and it made a world of difference. My jeep feels like my luxury car when steering. I wish they had a boot, and I wish I could afford the dual Bilstien shocks. Im looking at the 5100 4in and above shocks. Problem is im only 3.5 inch from what I have learned. Once the right springs go back in i should be ok? maybe you can help me with this one? go with the taller shock?
Bilsteins come in different lengths. Call David at Northridge 4x4. He should be able to recommend the right length for your application. Im running the Bilsteins as well. I had to go with a different length as well, since I had the Evo Rockstars in the back, that essentially lifts the rear bottom shock mount by 1.5". David recommended an appropriate length for this application.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dojohnso
Bilsteins come in different lengths. Call David at Northridge 4x4. He should be able to recommend the right length for your application. Im running the Bilsteins as well. I had to go with a different length as well, since I had the Evo Rockstars in the back, that essentially lifts the rear bottom shock mount by 1.5". David recommended an appropriate length for this application.

Thank you so so much. You ever need parts hit me up, my cost on parts for the help.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dojohnso
Does your front end feel kinda floaty after the lift?

I did a 2.5 teraflex coil lift with 1/2 inch spacers front and 1 inch spacers rear. With that mild of a lift, you still need to adjust your front caster via either adjustable upper or lower control arms. Most use adjustable front lowers and adjustable rear uppers. I went with the teraflex arms. The fronts only needed to be extended 3/8, but the rear uppers needed to be extended a good bit to bring the rear pinion into the proper alignment with the drive shaft.

I also went with the Evo drag link flip kit.

Very stable and drives well.

dojohnso, The standard shocks with the Zone lift that I installed,were wore completly out by 12k miles. I'm thinking because of the weight of the tire/wheel @ 96lbs/ea. Now that you mention the frontend was "floating" at hiway speeds. I just installed the Bilsteins (5160) and the ride improved 100%. The 3" Zone lift is a "starter lift". The Just empty every pocket saying is really starting to get revved up. I'm probably going to change to a Treaflex setup with all the adjustable
flexarms. Sure thanks for your help along this journey... J.H.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My zone lift shocks were also toast by around 12000 miles... but still can't complain on the rest of the kit.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your steering and handling will feel junky to say the least if your front end(adj tracbar) is not centered and your castor( upper or lower front CA's can adjust castor) is not correct. Since you didn't use the cam bolts and you have 3in of lift your castor is prolly at 1 or 2 degrees( 4-5 degrees is preferred) which will cause flighty handling plus make your steering wheel feel every bump in the road and make it feel loose. If you were to do the cheapest thing to do right now, I'd sat get some adj front lowers and at the very least a frt trackbar bracket or >adj trackbar- <adj tb is better.
If you get the TF 4in you'll need to do a drag flip kit for your steering, it's too much lift to handle right without it. You'll most likely get 5in outta the kit.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Your steering and handling will feel junky to say the least if your front end(adj tracbar) is not centered and your castor( upper or lower front CA's can adjust castor) is not correct. Since you didn't use the cam bolts and you have 3in of lift your castor is prolly at 1 or 2 degrees( 4-5 degrees is preferred) which will cause flighty handling plus make your steering wheel feel every bump in the road and make it feel loose. If you were to do the cheapest thing to do right now, I'd sat get some adj front lowers and at the very least a frt trackbar bracket or >adj trackbar- <adj tb is better.
If you get the TF 4in you'll need to do a drag flip kit for your steering, it's too much lift to handle right without it. You'll most likely get 5in outta the kit.
mkjeep, Here's what I'm thinking : Teraflex JK 2 door,3" supension system w/Full Flex Arm System, w/o shocks. I'll also get their front adjustable track bar..I'm trying to decide between Teraflex,Full Traction, or Clayton Preimium..I'm leaning towards Teraflex,but I'd sure like to here more opinions on these kits..Again thanks for everybodys replies and time..

Quick Reply: Replacement steering stabilizer