Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacement steering stabilizer

Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement steering stabilizer

I'm looking for a new steering stabilizer. I'm running a 3" lift with 35" KM2's and Fuel 17-9 wheels @ 96 lbs ea. I just installed Bilstien 5160 shocks and would like to replace the steering stabilizer.What are you all using with great results? Thanks for your help and time..
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

I use a Fox, Jeepswag mount on the frame, Poly on the tie rod.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of options out there. You just need to use the search function.

Im using the Teraflex steering stabilizer. I have the Evo drag link flip kit, so one end mounts on the axle end track bar mounting bracket, and Synergy clamp mount on the tie rod side, so my setup looks like the above pix posted by tslewisz .

I chose the Teraflex SS because its a known issue that a gas charged SS will tend to push your steering to the left because gas charged steering stabilizers load the shaft to fully extend. This means that there will always be loaded pressure pushing your tie rod to the left with this type of steering stabilizer. This phenomena is noticeable more on some brands vs others. Examples of gas charged steering stabilizers are Bilstein and Fox.

The Teraflex SS works like the stock one. Creates resistance extending and contracting just like stock. There is no gas charge forcing the shaft to fully extend out. Just resistance to overcome both ways.

Which one is better? I think its a matter of personal preference. I personally dont want to be fighting against the drift to the left.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dojohnso
A lot of options out there. You just need to use the search function.

Im using the Teraflex steering stabilizer. I have the Evo drag link flip kit, so one end mounts on the axle end track bar mounting bracket, and Synergy clamp mount on the tie rod side, so my setup looks like the above pix posted by tslewisz .

I chose the Teraflex SS because its a known issue that a gas charged SS will tend to push your steering to the left because gas charged steering stabilizers load the shaft to fully extend. This means that there will always be loaded pressure pushing your tie rod to the left with this type of steering stabilizer. This phenomena is noticeable more on some brands vs others. Examples of gas charged steering stabilizers are Bilstein and Fox.

The Teraflex SS works like the stock one. Creates resistance extending and contracting just like stock. There is no gas charge forcing the shaft to fully extend out. Just resistance to overcome both ways.

Which one is better? I think its a matter of personal preference. I personally dont want to be fighting against the drift to the left.

dojohnso, Thanks for the information..
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob.

I would recommend going with a set up that relocates your SS to the top as in the pix by tslewisz. The stock location is very vulnerable as it is one of the lowest points in the front.

If you dont have an axle end track bar relocation bracket (which you only have to add a bolt to mount the SS on that end), then a good solution is the one tslewisz is using:

"..... Jeepswag mount on the frame, Poly on the tie rod." For reference, Synergy = Poly = Poly Performance.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been running the jeepswag mount with bilstein SS for the past year with 2.5" teraflex lift and 33s. Works great and is out of harms way! Highly recommend both products.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

I've been running the rough country SS with relocation bracket and I love it! Huge improvement over stock
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really happy with Bilsteins
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010648.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	391106
Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by k0260
I'm really happy with Bilsteins
Attachment 391106
Which dual bracket are you using?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney
Which dual bracket are you using?
It's a Rough Country mount set up, I replaced the crap RC 2.2 stabilizers for Bilstein. With that mount, you could use Bilstein, Fox, many others that perform better than what RC delivers.

Quick Reply: Replacement steering stabilizer