Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replacement rear bumper and body lift... painting the rear pinch seam?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replacement rear bumper and body lift... painting the rear pinch seam?

I just purchased a Body Armor rear bumper and 1.25" Rough Country body lift. I can see already that the rear pinch seam on my silver JK is going to be a problem (especially since the Body Armor bumper doesn't cover it or the corners at all). I'm going to have to paint it and was wondering about what to use? Flat black spray paint would be easiest but I'm not sure how well it'll stick to the existing finish and how long it would last. Bedliner is another option and might be better since it's tough and also designed to go on over factory paint.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

I decided to use the bedliner spray. My local hardware store had the RustOleum brand. Sanding down the paint along and above the pinch seam was a bit hair raising. The bedliner goes on pretty thick and will run if you lay it on too heavy (which I did of course). I don't think it'll even be noticeable, especially down there. I took a peek this morning and it looks very good. Flat black and textured. It looks very anonymous, which is exactly what I wanted.

I'll post pictures of the finished results in a few days. I also took the opportunity to convert the Mopar chrome gas door (that the previous owner had installed) to black using the same bedliner spray. I think it'll turn out perfect.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post more pics?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Sure! It turned out very well. The black color makes the exposed area much less noticeable...

The chrome gas cover conversion came out great too...

Quick Reply: Replacement rear bumper and body lift... painting the rear pinch seam?