Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

replaceing sheared bolts

Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaceing sheared bolts

My last two tire rotations i noticed that the five bolts the lug nuts attatch to were starting to sheer off. I know this is due to when i put new tires and rims on there were two fittings that werent pressed into the rim when i mounted it and it cause the tire to start to fall off the axle. i dont need to name the company becaUSE they replaced the rim assembly and all.

My question is, can i replace the bolts with similar ones of the same lenght and grade? i was planning on replacing the whole shaft, but some things came up and im just looking of the cheapest way right now
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm guessing the "bolts" you are referring to are the wheel STUDS. Yes, you can replace them. Not with similar parts, but with EXACT replacements. The proper procedure is to drive or press them in from behind, but that requires axle removal. You can pull them into place by using a lug nut and several large heavy washers stacked onto the wheel stud. This usually destroys the lug nut and some of the washers, so you need replacements. Make sure you use plenty of lubricant such as PBlaster. If you need more clarification, give me a pm. I'll be glad to walk you through it. It's very simple.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Just curious - do they make a Dye large enough to chase the threads on a wheel stud? What is the thread count/pitch?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is a die for it yes however if they are that bad I wouldn't even put them on someones car I didn't like. It's best to go to a local parts store they should only run a few bucks each. The reason for them becoming damaged is most likely over tightening with an impact gun. The lugs should be torqued to about 90-100 Ft. Lbs. Usually an Impact is tightening to alot more than required. It's best to invest in a decent torque wrench and keep it just for the wheels. Snug up the Lugs with the mpact and then tighten with the torque wrench it will save your studs and lug nuts in the long run..

Quick Reply: replaceing sheared bolts