Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replace stock intake tube

Old 02-27-2015, 01:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace stock intake tube

I have been thinking about replacing the stock intake tube on my jeep. I want to keep the stock airbox and filter so this wouldn't really be a CAI. I just want to reduce the resistance. I have read many mixed reviews about CAI and jeeps. Still, I think replacing the tube with a smooth tube would have to be beneficial. Has anyone replaced just the tube?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you figure there's something wrong in the first place
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am in agreement, in general, with your thought. If you take the old adage " a motor is an air pump and anything done to make it breathe in and out easier is and has a performance benefit". However, some things may not be noticeable. I think if you smooth out the path and increase the volume slightly at the same time it may be noticeable. Also, before you start, get a base line on your performance (I'm talking about solid MPG for both city and highway as well as a planned route) where by you can get an honest assessment of what was done. Now, keep in mind that the computer is going to do what it wants based on the data it receives from the sensors; but it may do so at a slightly lower RPM; which will equate to slightly higher MPGs. I also suggest that you try to keep the joints and bends to a minimum in order to maximize the effect. Keep in mind I'm not guarantying that you will have success, but if no one thinks outside the box once in awhile life would be boring as s**t. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KClight01
I have been thinking about replacing the stock intake tube on my jeep. I want to keep the stock airbox and filter so this wouldn't really be a CAI. I just want to reduce the resistance. I have read many mixed reviews about CAI and jeeps. Still, I think replacing the tube with a smooth tube would have to be beneficial. Has anyone replaced just the tube?
I understand your thought process here but I really doubt that the intake tube is the creating enough turbulence or restriction that you would see any difference at all. The stock intake box and the throttle body are both probably a lot more restrictive than the intake tube.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a Airaid tube online that goes from the throttle body to intake box. I'm not sure why it is so expensive though. I agree the gains will be minimal. After looking at intakes kits, it seems like most replace it with something smooth. That is what got me thinking.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Former Member

Just like to state that manufacturers have nothing to gain by designing and building something stupid.
A fish has scales and that makes for a rough texture. After a couple of hundred million years they still haven't changed that design....I guess they don't swim very well
If it ain't broke why throw money at it to fix it?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I have not done this, so my opinion only provides something to think about.

You're not going to find a restriction in your intake that is worse than the throttle plate.
If the plate isn't fully opened, the ribs in the intake tube won't be a factor.

Your thinking is in the right direction, though. I just can't see it making a difference at part throttle, which is where it is almost all the time.

If you do like mentioned above and get a baseline mpg, that baseline has to be over enough tanks of gas to average out driving conditions and seasonal changes. Then, after the installation, the new baseline has to be just as inclusive of driving conditions and seasonal changes.
Lots of people post that something they have done improved their mpg figure on the next tank or two of gas. It's not enough data to make it meaningful.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-03-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Just like to state that manufacturers have nothing to gain by designing and building something stupid.

I don't know, the stock headlights on my JK feel pretty stupid...
Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
A fish has scales and that makes for a rough texture. After a couple of hundred million years they still haven't changed that design....I guess they don't swim very well
If it ain't broke why throw money at it to fix it?
The scales are only rough if you stroke them from tail to head. Head to tail it is actualy very smooth. That may be why fish don't swim backwards
Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

restriction is more in the filter... put in a hi flow filter, but need to change oil more frequently.

Quick Reply: Replace stock intake tube