Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replace seat cushioning?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace seat cushioning?

I have a 2008 Unlimited with the original YES Essentials seat fabric. I have kept the seats covered with Wet Okoles from the beginning and the underlying fabric is in perfect condition. The problem is that the seats were never comfortable and are worse after 10 years. Is it possible to have an upholstery shop just replace the cushioning in both the seat bottom and seat back portions without affecting my fabric, airbags, and seat warmers? I'm thinking perhaps the products are better today than 10 years ago and they would use a memory foam or something higher in quality than the original cushioning? Do you think I would see a significant difference in comfort or am I throwing my money away and not likely to feel much of a difference?

Not interested in total seat replacements as I want to keep my seat-mounted side air bags.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I do believe seat upholstery shops could indeed replace the actual cushion part for you, but I DO NOT think they'd be any more comfortable in regards to what type of material is used. They'd use a similar material as factory and design the same mold so the covers still fit the same. The real problem is the design of the mold rather than the material IMO. The 2013+ seats were a huge improvement in design. I'd say if your foam forms are not in terrible shape, you're not going to gain much for your money. If the foam was in terrible worn down shape, you might see some improvement. I don't think you're going to find a nice luxury material to make em out of though just based on the seat forms needing to hold their shape pretty good. That's all just my conjecture, not something I've researched and can report on due to direct experience.

Quick Reply: Replace seat cushioning?