Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Repaint 2010 JKU

Old 08-14-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repaint 2010 JKU

I have a 2010 JKU Rubicon, low mileage, completely set up with lift, gears, etc....no paint or body damage....considering to repaint just to change color....pros and cons??? what should it cost??? thanks for input.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people will tell you it will lower the value if you change color. Prices can have a wide range from $1k to crazy.

You might consider spraying a plastidip like product on your car (minimal prep and not permanent). It will help protect the original paint from scratches when wheeling and car be removed with some elbow grease. Google dipyourcar.com (it's something like that). They have color options and DIY kits if you are into that. The cost will likely be significantly lower than paint.

You might also look into a vinyl wrap. Not permanent and will help protect original paint from scratches. 3M makes quite a few wrap vinyls. Not sure of other brands. Cost varies based on thickness of vinyl, colors, any special graphics. Not sure how much install will run, but there are lots of places doing it now, so competition is good.

I've thought about both to prevent scratches when wheeling. I think a DIY dip kit was going to be around $800 for a Jeep depending on color. Haven't priced a wrap yet.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

it will most defiantly reduce the value to a dealer but some individuals wouldn't care.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the plasti dip idea I would love to do that to mine. Plus if I ever sell it I can just peal it off and bam good to go!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
it will most defiantly reduce the value to a dealer but some individuals wouldn't care.
Some people may not care, but don't think you will get your money back.

I personally would not buy a car with a changed color. I did once. Every time I got a paint chip, you could see the old color.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mark_c
I like the plasti dip idea I would love to do that to mine. Plus if I ever sell it I can just peal it off and bam good to go!
I spayed a small section on my tailgate to see how it would look and how easy it is to peel off.

The first time I only let it sit for a few hours then peeled it off. It was a pain to get it off.

I read somewhere that it will peel in sheets if you let it set up longer, so I am going to wait a month this time. I still have the second test on.

Quick Reply: Repaint 2010 JKU