Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

removing transfer case from '11 JK - question

Old 10-27-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing transfer case from '11 JK - question

Question for folks who have removed their t-cases - can you access all of the bolts from underneath the Jeep, or do you have to take the console off as well? It appears that a gearwrench will be able to get to the six mounting bolts, but I'd rather know if anyone has done that for sure before I try.

FWIW - installing an '09 Rubicon transfer case into my '11. I decided to put in the Teraflex 2 low conversion, and I'm glad that I did. When we popped the case open this morning, we found a piece to the center shift fork pad in the pickup area for the oil pump. Only a small piece of the pad was still where it should have been. A trip to the dealer tomorrow, and I should have the case all sealed back up, and ready to be installed tomorrow night.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

No one has done this? I guess I'm obliged to film it now, and post it for others to learn from...
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No clue... subscribed to see what you come up with!!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Haven't done it yet, but other threads indicate that they are doing it from underneath using stubby wrenches and wobble sockets to get up to the two hard to reach bolts, and either a tranny jack or motorcycle lift for the tcase itself.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by John.M
Question for folks who have removed their t-cases - can you access all of the bolts from underneath the Jeep, or do you have to take the console off as well? It appears that a gearwrench will be able to get to the six mounting bolts, but I'd rather know if anyone has done that for sure before I try.

FWIW - installing an '09 Rubicon transfer case into my '11. I decided to put in the Teraflex 2 low conversion, and I'm glad that I did. When we popped the case open this morning, we found a piece to the center shift fork pad in the pickup area for the oil pump. Only a small piece of the pad was still where it should have been. A trip to the dealer tomorrow, and I should have the case all sealed back up, and ready to be installed tomorrow night.
Yes, you can reach all the bolts, however it is a very tight fit, especially on the passenger side, because of the gas tank getting in the way. For the top bolt and middle bolt on that side, I strongly recommend a ratcheting wrench, as I do not believe I could have swapped mine out without it. A stubby would have probably worked, but I think I would have still stuck with the longer ratcheting wrench due to the extra torque to get the bolts going. You can pm me or whatever if you need pointers, etc.

Now, I also did take off the console.. but in the end I didn't end up needing to go that route.

Last edited by KCCO JK; 10-29-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoCalGSXR
Yes, you can reach all the bolts, however it is a very tight fit, especially on the passenger side, because of the gas tank getting in the way. For the top bolt and middle bolt on that side, I strongly recommend a ratcheting wrench, as I do not believe I could have swapped mine out without it. A stubby would have probably worked, but I think I would have still stuck with the longer ratcheting wrench due to the extra torque to get the bolts going. You can pm me or whatever if you need pointers, etc.

Now, I also did take off the console.. but in the end I didn't end up needing to go that route.
This is EXACTLY the feedback I needed. Thanks a bunch!!

For grins and giggles I may use my GoPro to film it. I thought for sure I would have found a video on YouTube already. Looks like I get to make one.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Unless your going to cut a hole in the floor, removing the console will not help you. Using a jack and lowering the tranny an inch or two will help gain some space to get to the upper bolts.

Sent via smoke signals
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TAT2DFREAK
Unless your going to cut a hole in the floor, removing the console will not help you. Using a jack and lowering the tranny an inch or two will help gain some space to get to the upper bolts.

Sent via smoke signals
To make sure I understand this, it just involves putting the jack under the transmission, and loosening the crossmember to lower it? I haven't found a diagram that would show which bolts should be loosened to allow it to drop. And I assume that this works because the motor mounts allow the rear of the engine to dip slightly rearward - is that right?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

To make sure I understand this, it just involves putting the jack under the transmission, and loosening the crossmember to lower it? I haven't found a diagram that would show which bolts should be loosened to allow it to drop. And I assume that this works because the motor mounts allow the rear of the engine to dip slightly rearward - is that right?
Your going to need to remove the crossmember because its wedged into the frame mounts, pretty easy though. Just put a block of wood on the jack and lower it slowly until you have just enough room to get to the nuts, going to need a stubby wrench on the top bolts.

Sent via smoke signals
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Basically your just going to remove the tcase skid as well as the crossmember. Before removing the crossmember, use a jack to take the weight off the crossmember, and it should come off easy as pie. After that I did the shift linkage which is literally a pop-off connection(aka garbage), and then disconnect the cable on top next to it. After that, all the bolts are possible using a combination of sockets and ratcheting wrenches. Its very time consuming, but pretty easy. I'd recommend going after the top passenger bolt first. If you can get that one loose/off, you can get everything done no sweat. If you need more room for any reason on that side, you can run the tank as empty as possible, and just drop the tank out of the way. The only thing holding that up is te skid, so watch out for that. It drops fast haha.

Quick Reply: removing transfer case from '11 JK - question