Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removing rear drive shaft

Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short, and I can explain later.

The shaft part, red arrow comes out. Anyone know the size of the snap ring that goes on there? The green arrow, the joint? Stays attached to the pinion flange. Best guess is when it was re geared the guy installed it a little crooked or something. The yellow points to the the lip around the pinion flange which doesn't allow me to pry it out.

I never really read what the pic said, I just knew it had the parts needed to explain. I downloaded the pic so please ignore the extra writing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-746336134.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	434806  

Last edited by Cuv; 03-17-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

When you take the eight bolts out of the heavy balancer/flange holding the end of the DS to the flange( the yellow arrow) the balancer or flange will stay attached to the pinion by the pinion nut...what is the problem?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cuv
Long story short, and I can explain later.

The shaft part, red arrow comes out. Anyone know the size of the snap ring that goes on there? The green arrow, the joint? Stays attached to the pinion flange. Best guess is when it was re geared the guy installed it a little crooked or something. The red points to the the lip around the pinion flange which doesn't allow me to pry it out.
If it was installed crooked which I don't see how it could be ,you would be having some very significant vibrations going on. Is the rubbing what is bothering you and is it only rubbing when the suspension is flexed? If the rubbing on the skid is the problem then I would blame it on the aftermarket skid installed and not the ds

Last edited by Biggy; 03-16-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Biggy
If it was installed crooked which I don't see how it could be ,you would be having some very significant vibrations going on. Is the rubbing what is bothering you and is it only rubbing when the suspension is flexed? If the rubbing on the skid is the problem then I would blame it on the aftermarket skid installed and not the ds
x2, on the skid...Have you checked if your axle is completely centered? If not, that could be the cause of the rub. An aftermarket adj track bar would help...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

That was just pic from the Internet. The end of the drive shaft is stuck to the pinion. The splines of the drive shaft pull out of the drive shaft joint. And there is vibe at about 45-50 or so. Not horrible, and I don't know how it could be crooked. It was just apart about a month ago for new gears.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I just realized the pic had other writing on it. I just downloaded it because all the parts I needed to discuss. I have no rubbing and no rockhard skid.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Nothing....?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aldaman

x2, on the skid...Have you checked if your axle is completely centered? If not, that could be the cause of the rub. An aftermarket adj track bar would help...
^^ axle centered?

I don't see how the factory drive shaft can be installed wrong.
The axle is pulled to the passenger side when lifted.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Again. No skid and no rub. Axle is centered and having it lifted is nothing new. RK track bar that has been moved back about and RK arms and jks coil perches. Axle is pushed back an inch or two more than stock, centered and the pinion angle is good. I adjusted the pinion to A: save the stock shaft and B: if the stocker went I had to adjust for an aftermarket shaft anyhow... All of which has been done for quite a while.

Now I don't know how why the damn thing is stuck on there, but it is. I'll have more time the next few days to beat on it. I don't want to fuck up anything at the rear pinion , and not sure how much abuse it can take prior to doing that, but I beat on it a while already and no joy.

Quick Reply: Removing rear drive shaft