Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removing Front Bumper Bolts

Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Front Bumper Bolts

Ok... other than tires, tonight is my first real mod... XHD Front Bumper... those 8 bolts that hold the stock front bumper on are killing me... my Jeep is a 2008 so the bolts have had some time to get "locked on" pretty good... I sprayed them with WD-40 and I'm heading to Home Depot in a bit... going to get a deep 18mm socket... any other suggestions? THANK YOU!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gifford888
Ok... other than tires, tonight is my first real mod... XHD Front Bumper... those 8 bolts that hold the stock front bumper on are killing me... my Jeep is a 2008 so the bolts have had some time to get "locked on" pretty good... I sprayed them with WD-40 and I'm heading to Home Depot in a bit... going to get a deep 18mm socket... any other suggestions? THANK YOU!
Get a long breaker bar or 14-18" tube to slip on the end of your ratchet to act as a helper. there isn't much room so you need lots of leverage, once it's loose you're golden.

BTW 'PB Blaster' is much better for pre-treating bolts then WD-40. Stinks all to he!!, but works like a champ.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a long handle rachet, use a 15mm socket to remove the bumper cover(thats the two outer bolts).... Its easier to remove the cover if you have the hooks. Remember there is a solid metal bumper under the cover. Also unplug the fog lights first.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phantasm
Get a long breaker bar or 14-18" tube to slip on the end of your ratchet to act as a helper. there isn't much room so you need lots of leverage, once it's loose you're golden.

BTW 'PB Blaster' is much better for pre-treating bolts then WD-40. Stinks all to he!!, but works like a champ.
X2 on the PB Blaster, about four dollars.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

BP Blaster -- never heard of it -- and the breaker bar and removing the cover -- all things I will try -- THANK YOU!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Use the breaker bar. I haven't come across a bolt yet that I couldn't get off fairly easily.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

18MM deep socket, extensions, ratchet and a breaker bar as stated previously, I didn't need any lubricants.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

First I would remove the grill, then remove the plastic piece that sits between the bumper and the grill. This piece is held on with these plastic push piece, I had to use two flat head to pry them up. There are two, one on each side, almost directly under the turn signals. Once you remove this piece you will have better access to the 4 inner bolts ( 2 on each side).

Also remember to remove the splash guard to get to the fog lights. There are like I think 8 total push piece. 6 connected to the bumper and 2 that are connected the the frame. I am not sure about the amount connected to the bumper but I know there are 2 connected to the frame.

x2 and the PB blaster. Works great.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you again to all! Heading to Home Depot... gonna be a long night... lol
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gifford888
BP Blaster -- never heard of it -- and the breaker bar and removing the cover -- all things I will try -- THANK YOU!
PB blaster is better than moms spit and 409 combined...I bout it once in a pinch because that is all the place had. I will never settle for anything less anymore. The stuff is truly amazing.

Quick Reply: Removing Front Bumper Bolts